GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pricing question: transmission fluid change

Default pricing question: transmission fluid change

So how much have you paid to have your transmission fluid changed if done at a shop, or how much is it for the fluid (and how much fluid is needed) and how much time should a shop charge to change it if I brought it in myself? I'm running at just over 126,000 miles and I don't know if it's ever been changed before (hasn't been by me), so needless to say I'm anxious to get it done. Unfortunately, I don't have the facilities or tools to do a proper job myself.

My car is a 95 540i, auto transmission.

Many thanks.
    If you ever discover that what you're seeing is a play within a play, just slow down, take a deep breath, and hold on for the ride of your life.

-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

It should take 8 liters of fluid. The fluid runs about $25/liter. I have the same transmission as you have die at 129k miles and replaced about a week ago. Even though its a sealed transmission about a liter of fluid had somehow leaked out and because it was sealed nobody even thought to check it until it was too late. I'd get it done asap even though the fluid cost is a bit steep. The cost of a new 5HP30 transmission from bmw is $4800 and they'll charge about $1500 to put it in. I did find a place online that only charged $1700 for the transmission but thats still over $3k.

-Adam

Quote Originally Posted by garretb
    So how much have you paid to have your transmission fluid changed if done at a shop, or how much is it for the fluid (and how much fluid is needed) and how much time should a shop charge to change it if I brought it in myself? I'm running at just over 126,000 miles and I don't know if it's ever been changed before (hasn't been by me), so needless to say I'm anxious to get it done. Unfortunately, I don't have the facilities or tools to do a proper job myself.

My car is a 95 540i, auto transmission.

Many thanks.

AAMCO - $79.95 for the change
    - $129.95 for the power flush.

I don't know which seals they use, but they guarantee no leaks for 90 days. I'd go for the power flush if you haven't had service for that long.

The other tranny shops I've priced are the same or 20% higher. They all use Dexron III as their standard fluid. There's a table here in the last week that shows how much more than normal the Bimmers torque converter holds....seems like around 50% of the total for our cars.

Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Kirt Koeller charges $2600 I think for rebuilt 5HP30.

Ooooh yeah... I remember this post... My tranny is still alive... sweet!

U cannot use Dextron III on 5HP30.

I have the same transmission...and my car is away getting a new transmission. Ouch! On Thursday evening I backed on to the drive and decided to inch forward a bit...as I'm proning to doing in that anal way of mine. Imagine my surprise (sic) when the car went backwards whatever I did... My rescue service (RAC) graciously agreed to transport the car wherever I wanted to go even though it was from home and technically I'm not covered. There is a local place that will take out and recondition my tranny and then refit it. But it's still expensive! Still, I do love the car and a new one would run me £40,000+, so I try and keep it in perspective that way...

Damian

P.S. It's now at 121000 miles
    Last edited by black_bird_blue; 08-30-2004 at 02:57 AM. Reason: to add mileage PS

If you don't know if your fluid has ever been changed I would not recommend a power flush. I would replace the fluid in 5K or 10K intervals, say 3 of them, and settle there. If you throw all that new fluid in you may create a hornet's nest of probs for the frictions, bands, etc... this way with each change you'll also be changing your filter and the crap the new fluid is dildging as well.

My .02

....i thought that problem was only a 500 USD or so problem to fix on that transmission, not a whole rebuild....if i'm correct in assuming it just needed a modified valve body to solve the reverse problem.

Quote Originally Posted by black_bird_blue
    I have the same transmission...and my car is away getting a new transmission. Ouch! On Thursday evening I backed on to the drive and decided to inch forward a bit...as I'm proning to doing in that anal way of mine. Imagine my surprise (sic) when the car went backwards whatever I did... My rescue service (RAC) graciously agreed to transport the car wherever I wanted to go even though it was from home and technically I'm not covered. There is a local place that will take out and recondition my tranny and then refit it. But it's still expensive! Still, I do love the car and a new one would run me £40,000+, so I try and keep it in perspective that way...

Damian

P.S. It's now at 121000 miles
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast