GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: CD changer/stereo: Urgent help needed... (pics)

Default CD changer/stereo: Urgent help needed... (pics)

I've been wanting a cd changer for ages, and one has just come up or online auction... I don't know what kind it is though, and doesn't return any searches on google. Seller claims it suits E36/E32 and is 10-disk cd-changer model no CDX-5B112/2. I have the ancient Alpine infra-red slot stereo, which I would willingly replace with another bmw unit, as apparently the pioneer ones are much better. There are two of the other style head-units up for auction aswell, I'm hoping one of them will fit match up...

Here are the head units up for sale:
    From a 1996 E36

... And from something else

And here is the cd-changer

Help me please! Let me know if this cd-changer is compatible with either of these head-units. The buy-me-now price on the changer is very cheap so I want to move fast.

That 10 disk wont fit that headunit. That stacker is designed for the Eurovox head unit that came in the E36 ti's. I have done an OEM conversion and now run a E36 '99 Head Unit and 6stack. I bought an oem harness adaptor because mine was the old plug system....like I think yours would be.

Henry is correct. The harnesses are different and changing them would be a PINTA! If you could get a unit from an E32/E34 you would probably get one of the high end Alpine units which sound just glorious with the right speakers. But as Henry says, beware the E36 units, especially the earlier ones. Also the cheaper Eurovox units didn't sound too good at the best of times. As a rule of thumb, always get the best unit they made. One way to do this is to get an older BMW accessories manual. Can be found on ebay.
    Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA

Hey, thanks for the messages. I have the Alpine head-unit at the moment, that came before bmw's standardised harness connector, so whatever I end up doing will be a PITA! I've already come to the realisation that I'll be spending some lonely nights with one of the plugs, a soldering iron and a wiring diagram... I like the head unit that I posted a pic of, so I'll just bide my time until a compatible head unit pops up.

Just make sure there is no blue flash and something black and cooked at the other end of the wires... Good luck.
    Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA

Default Dan

Sony also have units labelled as BMW,as seen here

Gone but not forgotten

On most BMW labelled units, if they don't have the original manufacturer's name on them, you can press two of the buttons (I forget which, it's been a long time) and the display will read the manufacturers name.
    Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA