GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: How to replace bulb in the headlight switch?

Default How to replace bulb in the headlight switch?

Hi,
    the headlight switch of my 90' 520i E34 does not lit, is there a way to change the lamp inside the switch?

Thanks in advance!

--Mario
    --Italy

Default solder it

Quote Originally Posted by Mario
    Hi,
    the headlight switch of my 90' 520i E34 does not lit, is there a way to change the lamp inside the switch?

Thanks in advance!

--Mario
    --Italy
    remove the switch and carefully take it apart , you will have to drill out one side of the long pin that helps hold it together so it will slide out one side it will also have spots to pry open the plastic on the sides,don't lose the small springs inside. be very attentive of how it comes apart. after sliding the circuit board out of the case,you will see the bulb soldered to the board , it will also be in a holder. i heated the solder to get the bulb and it's 2 wires out, then went to a local electronics store to match it up. radioshack had 1 that was to big to fit in the holder and won't let you put the switch back together. the one i got is a little smaller than the o.e., but after soldering it in works fine. also do not add solder , just heat & melt what is already there. after putting the switch back together. use a drop of super glue on the end of the long pin you drilled out to hold it. it's not as bad as it sounds, BUT you may want to have access to a spare , just in case. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by jiminEcricket
    remove the switch and carefully take it apart , you will have to drill out one side of the long pin that helps hold it together so it will slide out one side it will also have spots to pry open the plastic on the sides,don't lose the small springs inside. be very attentive of how it comes apart. after sliding the circuit board out of the case,you will see the bulb soldered to the board , it will also be in a holder. i heated the solder to get the bulb and it's 2 wires out, then went to a local electronics store to match it up. radioshack had 1 that was to big to fit in the holder and won't let you put the switch back together. the one i got is a little smaller than the o.e., but after soldering it in works fine. also do not add solder , just heat & melt what is already there. after putting the switch back together. use a drop of super glue on the end of the long pin you drilled out to hold it. it's not as bad as it sounds, BUT you may want to have access to a spare , just in case. good luck
    Thank you very much!

--Mario
    --Italy

If you're worried about losing parts put the switch into a ziplock back to open it so if the springs do fly they will be contained.