GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 524td emergency program

Default 524td emergency program

hi,
    I have probs. with my 524td e34 with automatic tranny.

I seems to run in the emergency program, because it has no power at all, it shifts normal but the kichdown doesn't work.

The kickdown is not the only problem, it has no power at any rpm.
    But the engine runs smooth.

I went to the bmw dealer, and they tried to hook it up to the computer, but they couldn't get in , they where not able to connect.

So they couldn't help me out, they told me to drive it til it stops, stupid dealer.

I tried the thing with the gas pedal, to read out the obd, but that doesn't work either.

how can i fix bmw? i don't really want to bring it to the dealer anymore, because they are to expensive.

Please help me out.

Thanks

Could someone please help me?

id love to help but i know squat about the e34 diesel, i've never even seen one, generally running problems on diesels can almost always be traced to fuel problems (not sure to what degree the e34 is computerized) i think i've read about check valve problems or supply pump issues on some cars at certain mileages. if nothing else a new fuel filter can't hurt, to help in priming a new filter on a diesel i like to fill it with automatic transmition fluid (acts like a cleaner also)
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

You have to do basic troubleshooting. Diesel engines are very basic and simple... It sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Do a test to determine if it is the engine or the tranny is at fault... if you leave the tranny in 2 and accelerate, was the engine responsive? If yes, then it can be tranny problem. IF no, then you got engine problem. When is the last time you changed the fluid and filter on the tranny?

If you think it is the engine problem... poke around and make sure every vacuum hose is tight... no loose hose. Rev the engine at idle... does it feel so weak? Then you really do have engine problem. I would start with basic... when is the last time you changed the fuel filter? When is the last time you used Diesel Purge to clean injector? Does your exhaust smoke? If so what color? Black is too much diesel, blue is turbo oil burning.

Check this forum for some tips...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/f896.html

thanks for the reply's,

The problem is my engine, not the tranny, its not responsive in any gear, but the engine acts normal as always when i floor it in 'N'

The last time i did a fuel filter change was a month or 2 ago, the tranny filter and oil are no older than 3 month, the engine oil and filter where changed 2000 miles ago.
    I used injector cleaner a few weeks ago.

the car was ok, then the next morning i started it, and it was sudenly verry slow.

il try to find a vacuum leak,
    there comes no smoke out of the exhaust.
    Last edited by David e34; 08-28-2004 at 04:15 PM.

Check for loose vacuum hose... soiunds like your turbo isn't doing its job... Any diesel mechanic should be able to fix your car...

David, most of my experience is with VW TD and TDI diesels, and the occasional Detroit 8V71T here and there. Sounds like your turbo is not doing its job. I understand that BMW M21 TD's are well known for the turbo bearing going after around 100k miles and going through glow plugs a little more than BMW originally intended. Other than the turbo and occasional injection pump problems, the M21 really is a simple engine (it's based on the M20 baby-six). If the turbo is the problem (do you hear any noticable turbo "whine" or feel the boost kicking in above 2500 rpm?) then an independant diesel shop (look under diesel repairs in the yellow pages and don't be afraid of guys talking Cummins of Caterpillar ) should be able to replace the bearings and seal for you for about $250-300.

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery