GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorplus interior project.

Default Colorplus interior project.

I have decided to wind down my summer by starting my interior reconditioning project. A while back I had purchase a complete interior for a steal of deal, but it was the wrong color. I have the light tan and my purchased interior was the biege.

So.... I am recoloring it. I am following colorplus plan. I have the drivers seat stripped, sanded, and soaked with two coats of rejuvenator oil. This is the painful part. I would say i have 9 - 12 in only the preping the front drivers seat.

It is positively amazing once you take the leather paint off how soft and flexible the leather is. I almost wish you could leave it totally natural.
    And once you have opened up the pores of the leather, it is incredilble how much oil the leather soaks up. It is like a sponge. I would say my first few dosings totalled one cup. ( 8oz). I will not be painting the seats for awhile so, I will be putting a few more oil soaking on.

The Picture of the seat that BILLR's nephew did ... WOW.. The job that they did was very good. I do not think mine is going to turn out that well. Do to how my leather ( not the paint) has aging into some buckled/bunched up spots. But, maybe the hydration will expanded the leather and relieve the buckled spots. I can only hope.

Joe
    JoeS

Hi Joe,
    I hope you don't miss the opportunity to do a small write up with pictures along the way. Shouldn't add too much effort to your already taxing job and would perform a great service to our community of BMW enthusiasts. I too need to take this on and will likely use Colorplus based upon Bill's recommendation. Your write up so far has been insightful. Have you used the crack filler? Most reflect the same result..the aged and therefore enbrittled, thick dye really does reduce the pliability of the leather. Question is Joe...how do you plan to apply the new dye? Are you going to shoot it from a paint gun? I always wondered if the dye was available in aerosol for those that don't have a paint gun or don't want to be bothered with rigging one up. Spraying seems to be a better solution cosmetically than wiping the dye on.
    Thanks your comments.
    Last edited by George M; 08-27-2004 at 07:32 AM.

Default colorplus

Sorry my wife is out of town with the digital camera, or I would have some pics. But, i will have some later.

Regarding application. I know it is not available in an areosol can. I have talked at great length to Joanne the owner of colorplus. Not only does she sell the goods, but she does leater reconiditioning jobs as well. She has done hundreds. She informed me that she has never used a spray gun, and has all ways used a super fine brush. So this is the approach i will be taking. I do not have a gun, never used one. So I do not want to learn on my seats.

I will attempt to scan in and post some additional information that she gave me. It is a write up some guy did when doing his 635csi.

George - BTW - what the hell is the deal on the subframe bushing party. You created some excitement and then dissappeared like a fart in the wind.
    JoeS

Default If you really want to use an aerosol can you can just get one here from

harborfreight.com

and it can be pressurized with an air compressor or even a tire inflator..
    After you put the new coating of color plus back on the seats they get stiffer again, its just that the bare leather after stripping and conditioning is much more pliable... unfortunately recoating stiffens them up some, just not quite as bad as they were.. Thats one of the reasons you want to use the thinnest and fewest number of coats you can get away with for even coverage.... another seat pic from when these were done before assembly

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    Hi Joe,
    I hope you don't miss the opportunity to do a small write up with pictures along the way. Shouldn't add too much effort to your already taxing job and would perform a great service to our community of BMW enthusiasts. I too need to take this on and will likely use Colorplus based upon Bill's recommendation. Your write up so far has been insightful. Have you used the crack filler? Most reflect the same result..the aged and therefore enbrittled, thick dye really does reduce the pliability of the leather. Question is Joe...how do you plan to apply the new dye? Are you going to shoot it from a paint gun? I always wondered if the dye was available in aerosol for those that don't have a paint gun or don't want to be bothered with rigging one up. Spraying seems to be a better solution cosmetically than wiping the dye on.
    Thanks your comments.

Heh, in that pic it looks like you have some colorplus exhaust matching, too.

Those pieces look amazing, though!!!

Joe, believe you would be well served to spray it like Bill did but if Joanne says it will look great using a fine hair brush maybe the way to go for simplicity. Bill's job really does look exceptional...would expect nothing less from the man. Thanks for the link Bill...I have a spray gun and air so may end up using it as I understand the dye is almost paint like and probably would look best if sprayed on like you did it.
    George

Default BillR. - how to disassemble the seats

I have left the seats together for ease of working on them , but to paint them. I want to break the front and back apart. How do you do this? just remove the locking clip and they slide right out? Any tricks or got ya's ?
    JoeS

Default Joe, if you mean to separate the backrest from the seat bottom then you

remove the rear cover on the backrest and you should be able to see the levers on each side that will release the back from the bottom, prying the lever with pliers will usually get them to release, no real gotcha's

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS
    I have left the seats together for ease of working on them , but to paint them. I want to break the front and back apart. How do you do this? just remove the locking clip and they slide right out? Any tricks or got ya's ?

Bill, I presume this is your shop. Can you post some photos of the machine shop equipment at your disposal? Maybe in a separate thread. Thanks.

Paul Shovestul
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Default Sorry Paul, I don't have a shop, i work out of the

house. Those pics are my brother in laws garage at his house..
    as far as equipment at his disposal you can see a 48 inch shear in the
    right upper side of the picture, the yellow and green thing, then behind its a gap bed lathe I'm uncertain as to the swing but its fairly good size.. I think its a mori seiki to the right of that is an old bridgeport mill with a digital conversion on it and a power feed conversion, sorry no cnc stuff. then there's a greenlee hydraulic bender, a small press, I think he's got an old edm tucked away in a corner, numerous migs, tigs, stick welder and gas welders, a drill press or two and an overhead crane on ibeams running the length of the garage in both directions...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    Bill, I presume this is your shop. Can you post some photos of the machine shop equipment at your disposal? Maybe in a separate thread. Thanks.

Paul Shovestul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast