GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: BMW Car Magazine: slow m30 oil pressure = buy a new motor!

Default BMW Car Magazine: slow m30 oil pressure = buy a new motor!

I bought one of those import mags that you see in Barnes n Nobles sometimes... import, as in the ones from other countries. In this case, it was BMW Car from the UK. It was pretty good, I thought, as I flipped through it, but something caught my eye in the tech section...

I guy with a 199x 535i wrote in, with his problem- slow oil pressure build up. The light took about 9-10 seconds to blink out. The engine was a baby at 90k miles, and according to the owner, functioned fine, except for the slow pressure build up.

What was BMW Car's solution? Replace the entire engine!

What the hell kind of a solution is that>?? They suggested that the oil pump was shot, and that it would be cheaper to buy a new engine altogether. They never even mentioned the oil canister, when a simple internet search would have netted them that fix from Bruno's site.

Unbelievable! I wonder what the solution to valve ticking would be- buy a new car? An s50 swap?

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

Default thats amazing, I just talked

with a guy that ownes the party store down the road a bit. He has a 95 525 in less than pristine condition and mentioned selling it. I asked him how much and he said 12k I laughed out loud! I asked how up to date are the service records, he has none. I went on and the only thing he has done with the car in the last 2 years was drive it...kinda like he was bragging as he was checking mine out. I pop the hood of mine and he asks how much is his car worth, then he stops and just stares into the engine bay, says wow this car is clean. I told him I might be able to get 8500 or 9k if I wait it out, he was shocked. I told him I wouldnt pay more than 3500-4000 for his because of the maintenance, the he says what if I take it in for service then is it worth more??? I think he will have that car for quite a while.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Was there no mention of bad bearings?

I used to enjoy that subscription, until they focused on the flame-surfaced new stuff. The hamann crap they'd put in there didn't interest me much either. Editor Bob seemed to be a big fan of the e34 m5 & the early 6 series.
    erased due to slander

older m30s have crap pumps and good filter housings (that point down) and newer m30s have good pumps and crap filter housings (that point up)
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Point up?

You mean the cap of the oil housing points up? I have a '90 M30 with the cap up. So it's a newer M30?

A

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    older m30s have crap pumps and good filter housings (that point down) and newer m30s have good pumps and crap filter housings (that point up)

I guess he means e28s? The e34 in the article was 199x so I think it's one of the lucky later ones.

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

e34/32 are the newer style

Quote Originally Posted by Daskoff
    You mean the cap of the oil housing points up? I have a '90 M30 with the cap up. So it's a newer M30?

A
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it