GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Oil ??

Default Motor Oil ??

On a recent road trip, the low engine oil light came on just as I arrived at my destination. I added a quart of valvoline max life full synthetic, 5W30. Does anyone have any experience with the max life product line. I typically use the regular full synthetic. Any thoughts on the grade of oil? The max life was an SL grade. Will SL meet SG/SH standards?

Thanks

No experience with the max life product but I believe the standard goes up as that second letter ventures further into the alphabet. Therefore the SL standard exceeds the SG/SH.

the valvoline maxlife has between 10 and 20 percent of its content made up of full synthetic oil. its certainly not the worst thing you could possibly put in there if you are topping up with non synthetic. my engine likes it very much (no more use than mobil 1) , and the 10w40 gets me the same gas mileage as their 5w30. i'd use it again if i could get another "free" 5 quarts of maxlife after rebate.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

0w-40 mobil one and be done
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    0w-40 mobil one and be done
    not in an M50. 10W30 until your VANOS unit starts making noise (usually higher mileage) then 15w50 once you hear the tapping from it. I personally use Mobil1 and Amsoil.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

this weekend, i'll be installing the german castrol 0w30 oil into my m50 (aka jesus among synthetics under $6USD) and see how she fares. the car will be used as a delivery vehicle starting next week, so we'll see how long it holds up under severe start/stop cycles before it breaks down according to the Roopnarine method for viscosity determination . multiple tests at bobistheoilguy put new GC 0w30 at a viscosity of 12.2 at 100C, which is just on the borderline for a 30/40 weight (40 starts at 13). m1 0w40 tests between 13.2 and 13.5, so i doubt there's going to be that much difference, especially since both are very good oils. i know that i could certainly stand to stomach a few extra mpg now, so i wont sweat the fact that its a 30 wt. (i'm sure i'm not the only m50 owner in a warm climate running a 30wt).
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default im sure theres people using 30wt dino oil too.

but not on this board!

LOL
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

i use it in my diesels

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    but not on this board!

LOL
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default think there is any benefit using synthetic

in them? Im using 5-30 mobil 1 in the lawn monster
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

I was going to change my oil for the first time this weekend and I was going to use regular 10W30. But now as I've been browsing these forums and searching around it appears that I should synthetic. Am I correct in stating that once you use synthetic in an engine that you should never go back to regular?
    I'm located in Western PA and we get some cold winter spells. So that being said should I stick with 10W30 in the winter time too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast