GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X drilled,sloted,stock???

Default X drilled,sloted,stock???

I just got a pair of front calipers from a 850ci to do Brunos big brake upgrade , now I have to get the rotors and I wonder which ones should I get. Should I pay $245 for either the X drilled or sloted ones from bavauto or should I get the stock ones? Any input from some one with experience on this will be appreciated. They won't be bolted to the car for a while, so there is time for me to shop around, so I'm welcome to sugestions/opinions. TIA, Dave

i've seen less problems with sloted, i have no experence with the 850 brakes so i don't know how they are on rotors
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I have the Zimmermann X-drilled and they seem fine for me. Honestly, I bought them for one reason and that was appearance. Actually 2 reasons, I got a good price from a buddy of mine that runs a shop. My wheels are very open and show off the rotors. I get alot of compliments on them. For street practicality, they are probably no better than OE. I mean, I never get the brakes hot like I need X-drilled.

Default Why?

It depends on your goal in changing them. I autocross my car and find that there are some fate with the stock disc. By switching to cross drilled one helps. But in everyday driving, there will be no noticable different, except there will be some noice and pads will wear out faster. So, if just for the look, I would say stay with stock, which are way cheaper if you order from BMA.

i have over 50k miles on the pbr organic's and ate power disc's on my 90 325is and i flog the hell out of it, i've noticed a difference (big difference on e30) on every car i've installed sloted rotors on (my last 4 cars 2 bmw 2 volvo and several customer cars)

Quote Originally Posted by jjw
    But in everyday driving, there will be no noticable different, except there will be some noice and pads will wear out faster
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I have the ATE slotted rotors on the front and my only complaint is they have a growling noise that is much louder than the stock, smooth rotors. Otherwise they've worked fine. Good luck.

Curt.
    1994 530iT

yep

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Anderson
    they have a growling noise that is much louder than the stock, smooth rotors.

Default Ate Power Disc

A friend who prepares e30 cars for racing offered the opinion that Ate Power Disc is the way to go. The topic came up as I pretty much used up what was left of my discs at drivers' school last weekend. (it's a long day in a 525iA)

I guess I'll get some X drilled ones, I continue to read about the noise that the sloted ones makes from just about anyone that has posted here and in other threads. Any sugestions as of where will be the best place to get the X drilled ones?

I thought I read something a few months ago that said ATE had moved production of their slotted rotors and the quality was not so good anymore. Does anyone else remember the specifics or was it just a senior moment for me??!?!?

Curt.
    1994 530iT . . . now where did I park it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast