GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kinda way OT: Who really enjoys what they do?

Default Kinda way OT: Who really enjoys what they do?

I've been involved in manufacturing for 8 years now (going on 9), and am in a rut. It's a 7:30-4:30 job, but in a shrinking market. I want to do something that excites me, that doesn't make me dread Monday mornings, but also that doesn't totally consume all my time (taking me away from the wife, son, cars, bike, etc.). That sort of rules out a lot of traveling sales jobs.

While I am mechanically inclined, I don't think I would make a good mechanic. I enjoy working on things, but maybe not for a living. I have an Engineering degree (in Materials Science and Engineering), but that's not well-suited to too many fields. I enjoy writing, and considered a career in journalism, but just never pursued it. I enjoy travel, both domestic and international, yet do not speak a foreign language fluently.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone does anything they're really passionate about, that earns them a decent living with a little extra cash at the end of the month for play. Ideally in the $35/hour plus range
    Bill B.
    95 525i

That bad Bill?? I don't want to hear any complaints till you've got 25 years manufacturing, 18 of them automotive (::moan: !! Don't know if you heard, my company just got bought a couple weeks ago. Going from a private german company to a public swiss company. Should be for the good.

You know, we're planning to add 2 engineers soon, and maybe some other positions. Not that this company is any better than where you are, but who knows? Want me to let you know when they decide? (They normally post on monster.com search for saia-burgess automotive.) And they currently have an opening for a supplier quality engineer - it'd be pretty sweet we don't have a lot of suppliers, and the travel is probably less than 10% in reality.

Your's would be the 5th bmw in the lot....

Scott
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

I've got 24 years in my current job in a hospital as part of the health care team. Passion ebbs and flows depending on life. One thing that helps is that I take students (young, enthusiastic & often female and pretty) that keep things fresh. The latest student from 10 months ago is now a co-worker. In another 6 years, I'll take a phased retirement at the ripe old age of 55.

Then the world becomes my oyster.

Bill, I for one love what I do. I have a degree in Industrial Design and I own a product development consultant office. We work on a wide variety of projects mostely in the medical device field but we've recently completed a new VOIP business telephone systems, a golf swing analyzer and a family of networking products. Every day is a new challenge and every project is a new learning experience. Our site is www.compassdesign.com.

Like you, I was always mechanically inclined but didn't want to work as a mechanic. I liked designing things and originally thought about becoming an architect but found the profession was not as creative as I wanted. Stumbled onto ID in the school library and transferred the next semester. I've got 28 years under my belt and don't regret chosing this field for a minute. Good luck finding that position that feeds your passion.

Curt.
    1994 530iT

I loved what I originally started out doing, designing electronics power systems for naval vessels. Then I moved over into switchboard design, then dabbled in submarine cableways (that was rough). After the industry got to the point where layoffs were rapant and the quality of help went down the can I left. Received a nice check for 8 years of backpay that I was owed (they billed all of my hours but paid me for salary only).

Work in a few restaurants, which gave me plenty of surf time. I miss that job quite a bit, it was fun. Never a dull moment.

Now I'm in IT looking over 2 facilities that are 6 hours apart. It's not bad most of the time, this week we've been having some problems with our primary print box that's causing a lot of problems. A crisis can be fun...except it shows who knows what. The guy that was hired to work with me had NetWare guru stamped all over his resume, along with experience with Cisco products and RedHat. The interviewer didn't ask him to document everything...his guru-ness means he can do the tasks if you give him a step by step. Arggggg. I have enough time here so my healthcare is paid for when I retire, next year I'll be returning in culinary and going back to school to get a medical degree of somesort so I can get into the clinical informatics side of things.

I'm with you Bill. An engineer for twenty plus years and I'm ready to call it quits. Looking for other opportunities but difficult to make a career change at this point in my life..

love what i do.. Firefighting.. side job with fire/rescue at a drag strip and confined space rescue ..

When I left high school, I explored my interests and did a year of Electrical Engineering at university, and absolutely hated it. Last year I made a change from physical sciences, to biological sciences and have since been studying Pharmacology & Toxicology. I really had doing lab work, so I'm going to go with the parts of my studies I like the best, and become a Pharmaceutical sales rep. From what I hear it's well paid, easy to move up in the industry and you get to travel a fair bit. I'm only 20 so for for at least the next few years I couldn't imagine anything worse than being settled down with a white-picket fence... Find something you like and just go with it!

TC535i Guest

So far this month, I've finished up my licences, got a promotion, the transfer I wanted, and a $6k/yr raise... not a bad month for me!

Default Pro detailer 15 years+.......love my job>>>>

Been detailing cars for 15+ years, LOVE IT!!!!!.
    I am the gen. mangr. of a medium size detail shop in the Philly suburbs.
    Mostly "high-end" cars (but alittle of everything to keep a nice balance),and i am directly across the street from a large volume BMW dealership...(how nice is that?).

Michael C.
    95 540i6 M-sport
    88 ///M5.........FOR SALE

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast