GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Auto - mode selector

Default Auto - mode selector

Can anyone explain the differences in the mode selector beside the gear stick.
    On my car you slide fwd to 'S' press a button on 'E' and slide back for '*' ( which I presume is winter mode.
    What is the difference and for best economy what is the best mode to drive in.

On my 535i when the display reads ED it is in the most economical mode. "S" is the sport mode which allows the engine to rev higher before shifting for better performance while accelerating. Mine has the M/A button, when in M, which I never use, it seems to lock the gear in so that it doesn't shift. This might be useful in snow/slippery conditions.

one way is traction control and the other is ED (electronic drive?). Sport mode is when you downshift into a lower gear the trans will hold gears longer. Most people that have used the traction control tend to either love it or hate it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Your car seems to be set up a little different from mine. When the gear lever is in "D" the indicator in the instrument panel also shows E (for efficiency). Moving the lever back to "3" or "2" changes the E to S (sport mode), with higher shift points and no overdrive. Next to the shift lever is the A/M (auto/manual) slide switch. Selecting it changes the E to M, and the transmission stays in the selected gear. Some may find starting in 2nd is better controlled in winter snow, but with the 525 too much torque is not a problem.