GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Anti lock light on

Default Anti lock light on

I posted here several months about my anti lock light being on, but the search function does not seem to be working...

Anyway, my anti lock light was on at the time, and I asked for some help. My car is a '94 540i. The light is on from the moment the car is started, and never goes out. Someone suggested it was probably either a fuse or the relay. Well, a few trips later the light went out, so I didn't mess with it any more. Now it has come back on again, and this time it has been on for quite a while and seems like it is on for good. My question is what is the "ABS relay"? I checked the fuse and it looks good (although those are weird fuses, can you tell by looks?). I don't see an ABS relay in the Bentley manual, although there are two other relays related to the ABS. (I don't have ASC). Where should I be looking for a problem?

-Matt

I'd guess the problem is with a wheel sensor not reporting correctly. Of course, I have absolutely no experience diagnosing the ABS system so this is a complete shot in the dark.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

I remember reading that the wheel sensors get a layer of dirt and metal dust and then don't read properly. As Jeff N. suggested, that's where I'd start, too. Remove and clean all of them.