GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Where to find inexpensive M parallels

Default Where to find inexpensive M parallels

Does anybody have any used ones they are willing to sell, or does anybody have experience with any of the knock off m parallels?

real factory M-parallels (either e34 or e38) will cost $2+K per set.
    There are no used sets of e34's; however e38's are available used, as there were many sets sold. A good, used set will run $1100-1400. Lower prices are possible, but probably indicative of curb rash or other defects.

E34's are forged wheels; I used to assume the e38's were also forged, but some very knowledgable people say e38 m-parallels are cast by Fuchs.

Replicas are cast wheels generally made in Asia or Italy. The castings are not as strong and may bend easier than OEM. However the cost is lower - $800/set. The finishes are slightly different than OEM; sometimes chromed.

email me offline if you have other questions.
    mike

if money is an option then get replicas, if u bend a rim it will cost u like $200 to get another instead of paying $500 to get the OEM. Im going to get replicas for like $1,200.00 with tires. They may not be strong but if u keep the tires filled with air and watch for pot holes then u should be ok. And im getting 18in if u get the OEM they still can bend at 18, but if u really want replicas get 17 or 16 there u should not have a problem, but 18 bend much easire.
    "No matter how it looks its still my ride."

nice review Mike. Interesting revelation about the E-38 M//'s...have always believed them to be forged. Many, many top OE wheels including most BBS wheels are cast so no big surprise. There is huge variabilility in how cast wheels are made and what their companion resistance to bending is. Better wheels use a better process and have greater density and fewer internal inclusions hence are stronger.

what replicas are you buying, I have seen several companies that sell them.

Default E38 M Parallels vs E34 M Parallels

Quote Originally Posted by mike wong
    real factory M-parallels (either e34 or e38) will cost $2+K per set.
    There are no used sets of e34's; however e38's are available used, as there were many sets sold. A good, used set will run $1100-1400. Lower prices are possible, but probably indicative of curb rash or other defects.

E34's are forged wheels; I used to assume the e38's were also forged, but some very knowledgable people say e38 m-parallels are cast by Fuchs.

Replicas are cast wheels generally made in Asia or Italy. The castings are not as strong and may bend easier than OEM. However the cost is lower - $800/set. The finishes are slightly different than OEM; sometimes chromed.

email me offline if you have other questions.
    mike

Some other differences in E38 vs E34:
    1. E38 offsets are different, causing front wheels to stick out a tad more than E34, although I did not see a noticeable driving difference when I had them on my cars.

2. E38 M Parallel rears are 1/2" wider than E34, 18x9.5 vs 18x9 respectively

3. E34 M Parallels are painted finish in silver with clear coat, E38 are clear coat over bare polished metal finish, like a brushed aluminum like finish; the E34's are easier to repair if they get scrathced or curb rash

4. There are extremely few used sets out there but you can find them if you really determine that is what you want, but it will cost 25-30% more than E38 used M PArallels. Some say you can still get them new from Germany.

I would recommend you save for an OEM set of E38 M Parallels, you cant go wrong, they make an E34 look great. (I wish I had not sold my set).