GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: BMW Diagnostic tool for DIY?

Default BMW Diagnostic tool for DIY?

I was wondering if anyone had made or bought an OBD-I scanner for the BMW. Not even sure is Bear or Snap-on make them for BMW...I wouldn't be surprised at a proprietary unit.

Reason I ask is that I have the VAGCOM scanner/diagnostics tool/software for my Jetta (which actually covers all OBD-I VW and Audi products) and find it invaluable. I just hate not being able to work with the car's computer(s) and see what's going on with my beastie. The stomp test and hair-pin to reset lights seems a little vague for my likings...

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

snap on does.....my uncle the mechanic had one in the snap on and used it to fix my e34 when the computer and 2 FIs needed replacing. i'm sure bill and winfred have the cartridge, and could name it specifically for you. i've wanted one since i found out that you can read tranny codes through the regular diagnostic port. i saw a schematic for one when my stomp testing wasn't working, i don't remember where, but i don't know if it would tell you anything that the stomp test wouldn't already.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

snapon has a bmw cartridge for the mt2500 red brick, $3-350 on ebay for a scanner body and $5-600 or so for the cartridge/cables, we have one and it works good, with the brick you can use it on air bag and tranny codes and data too plus other cars with different cartridges. the el-cheepo baverian auto sport code reader works ok

Quote Originally Posted by DueyT
    I was wondering if anyone had made or bought an OBD-I scanner for the BMW. Not even sure is Bear or Snap-on make them for BMW...I wouldn't be surprised at a proprietary unit.

Reason I ask is that I have the VAGCOM scanner/diagnostics tool/software for my Jetta (which actually covers all OBD-I VW and Audi products) and find it invaluable. I just hate not being able to work with the car's computer(s) and see what's going on with my beastie. The stomp test and hair-pin to reset lights seems a little vague for my likings...

Cheers,
    Duey
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks Winfred...can you do "dealer-like" resets as well with the MT2500 (service lights, EML, central locking modes, etc...)? I like being able to reset stuff on my Jetta with the VAG-COM.

Thanks
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

service lights, air bag stuff, some abs, ce codes and data, tranny codes and data, never used it on a eml car yet, our 2001 bmw version doesn't go into body stuff, they have the poop on the snapon web site about what the latest version does. the only thing i don't like about it is the euro stuff is not covered like everything else, theres a domestic pack, asian pack, trouble shooters for those, abs trouble shooter (i am not entirely sure what a trouble shooter does that a regular cartridge), audi/vw pack, bmw pack and a mercedes pack, the domestic pack handles generric obd II and does most of the stuff on the volvos and bimmers we've used it on

oh and theres no damn volvo coverage, unless they've just come out

Quote Originally Posted by DueyT
    Thanks Winfred...can you do "dealer-like" resets as well with the MT2500 (service lights, EML, central locking modes, etc...)? I like being able to reset stuff on my Jetta with the VAG-COM.

Thanks
    Duey
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it