GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M5 boot (trunk) infill plate

York, England - an ancient walled city, founded by the Romans. Popular with American visitors!

Default M5 boot (trunk) infill plate

Hello all

I wonder if anyone can help with advice on this one? I have bought an M5 boot (trunk) infill plate (which is a piece of black plastic that fits between the rear fog lights).it is fitted mainly by double-sided tape and a few screws. The licence plate then fixes to it.

My question is I believe there ought to a grommet which goes over the trunk release button in addition to the usual one. Can anyone confirm this for me and perhaps give me a part number - I have searched the ETK in vain. Many thanks for any advice/information you can give.

Simon Daubeney, York, UK
    530i SE 5 spd 154,000 miles

Default Boot (trunk) valance

Simon, I fitted the red plastic valance to my car and there was no other grommet to go around the boot opening button.

Phil

Default I've got that setup and there is a shield that covers the button.

Quote Originally Posted by simon-york
    Hello all

I wonder if anyone can help with advice on this one? I have bought an M5 boot (trunk) infill plate (which is a piece of black plastic that fits between the rear fog lights).it is fitted mainly by double-sided tape and a few screws. The licence plate then fixes to it.

My question is I believe there ought to a grommet which goes over the trunk release button in addition to the usual one. Can anyone confirm this for me and perhaps give me a part number - I have searched the ETK in vain. Many thanks for any advice/information you can give.

Simon Daubeney, York, UK
    Look for p/n 51-24-2-230-431 in the ETK. Enter vehicle ID as an M5 and you should see it. If you enter your vehicle as a non M it won't let you get the part number. I think that's the piece you want. It's #22 in the figure below.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

York, England - an ancient walled city, founded by the Romans. Popular with American visitors!

Phil

Thanks for replying - do I understand correctly, you fitted an M5 valence and had a look at the rear panel close up? The bit I mean is right between the lights on the boot where the push button to release the catch is.

All the pictures of M5s dont show any body colour around the hole (which I would expect unless there is an extra grommet around the black panel)

Simon

Robin

Many thanks - I had seen part 22, but thought it was the normal grommet surrounding the lock which is already on my 530i. If you have this set up yourself, is it large enough to fit snugly in the large hole in the boot trim panel? Part 22 it says (for the M5) that it is the push button but as you say this is missing altogether from the non-M version.

Thanks, Simon
    Last edited by simon-york; 08-19-2004 at 05:43 PM.

I have the M5 panel as well and wondered this same question. Supposedly, the lock on the m5 is different from the one on our cars and the grommet doesn't work separately. I never verified this myself but the person who told me this had an M5 and knew of a source for the lock/grommet.

Default Simon-York, Boot valance pic

Simon, I'm sorry to have taken so long to get back to you but in this pic of the red valance you will see that there is no "grommet" necessary to cover any paint colour. I am not sure if this is the same as the black M5 valance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default p/n 22 is the one you want - I checked

I looked at my car and it's the one you want - assuming you have the all black rear cover plate like mine that is. It's basically a washer with some depth to it that just slides over the stock button cylinder and stays there with friction.

- Robin
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Default Thanks!

Robin

Thank you very much indeed for that - it is indeed the black M5 infill plate that I have - I was fairly sure from an article in Total BMW here in the UK that someone who had built an M5 replica had to buy such a part from his dealer. Thanks again, I shall order the part!

PS are you in the US, UK or somewhere else. I am very impressed with your mileage at 212,000. I have not yet reached 155,000!

Phil

Many thanks indeed for taking the trouble to photograph the lock area on your car. I see what you mean now, but my infill plate is the solid black M5 type - just for show really, but I shall never put an M5 badge on never fear - want more of a 530i SE sport look which will go well with the Alpina wheels.

Thanks again to you both.

Simon Daubeney, York. UK

Default All M5 owners Please help!

All M5 owners Please help!

I to have bought the M5 infill plate for the rear number plate (3 months ago actually) but haven’t fitted it yet because I can’t locate the correct boot (trunk) lock surround. I got the part suggested here #51 24 2 230 4311 it doesn’t fit way to small! The dealers are useless as usual when it comes to cars this old and nobody else knows. I’ve trawled the ETK and cant find it so I was hoping somebody here might have some new info to help or has anyone got an M5 with this part, and can let us know the correct part number. I’m sure it would be of help to loads of us in the same predicament.
    Thanks in advance

Pics coming soon as I get 5 minutes break from uni, nothing special but I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by simon-york
    Hello all

Simon Daubeney, York, UK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast