GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Handling Issues

Default Handling Issues

Hello,
    I'm a new member. I have a 92 525i, bought 03/02, 3rd owner, currently 124K miles on it and about 2 mos. ago, replaced the stock rims with an 18" 7 spoke(OEM#123) that came off a 2003 530i sport package, it came with a Dunlop sport 01 tires 245/40/18. I do realize that changing to a larger tire/rim, there's bound to be some ride changes w/c was acceptable but the handling of the car has become too light, actually unstable, bordering on being unsafe, not quite as tight as when i had the stock tires/rims, actualy it does NOT shimmy at all but it does pull to the side when braking on uneven surfaces. The brakes are still fairly new, so no warping there, I checked the suspension and it appears that the rubbers on the thrust arm, tie rods, sway bar links, and lemforder's have cracks on 'em. I actually took pix's of 'em and tryin to figure out a way to show 'em here, anyway, replacing this sounds like a really expensive suspension job, but gotta do it, Will I be able to perform these repairs?..How bout the struts, think the front struts was replaced by the former owner at 90K miles, will it require to be replaced due to larger rims?

Whilst many people do put on 18 or even 19 inch wheels on their E34's this is essentailly an error. E34's were designed to accept a maximum 17 inch wheel and after that, as you have found, all sorts of unpleasant things start to happen. One of the major consequences is that the stress placed on suspension components induce rapid wear on suspension components.

Two things. Suggest a 17 inch wheel as a start. Next use Lemforder parts to replace all the stressed components. Also consider putting back the original wheels to see what happens.

If putting on 17 inch wheels restores the car's balance and handling, then only replace the suspension components as you need to. If you believe the car isn't handling well after the new wheels, then go ahead. Use BMW or Lemforder parts. They are the same but having a BMW badge will increase the cost. Hire a hoist for an hour and take a bog breaker bar to get all the bits off. Remember, the car needs to be at full rest before you tighten all those new bits up. That is, the car must be sitting on its wheels before tightening up to the specificed torque amounts. If you don't have a Bentley's get one. It has all this data included. Cheap help.

Good luck,
    Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Hoad
    Whilst many people do put on 18 or even 19 inch wheels on their E34's this is essentailly an error. E34's were designed to accept a maximum 17 inch wheel and after that, as you have found, all sorts of unpleasant things start to happen. One of the major consequences is that the stress placed on suspension components induce rapid wear on suspension components.

Two things. Suggest a 17 inch wheel as a start. Next use Lemforder parts to replace all the stressed components. Also consider putting back the original wheels to see what happens.

If putting on 17 inch wheels restores the car's balance and handling, then only replace the suspension components as you need to. If you believe the car isn't handling well after the new wheels, then go ahead. Use BMW or Lemforder parts. They are the same but having a BMW badge will increase the cost. Hire a hoist for an hour and take a bog breaker bar to get all the bits off. Remember, the car needs to be at full rest before you tighten all those new bits up. That is, the car must be sitting on its wheels before tightening up to the specificed torque amounts. If you don't have a Bentley's get one. It has all this data included. Cheap help.

Good luck,

Thanks for the input!!...RAPID WEAR huh???...holy smokes!!..I'm a predicament then, since I have traded in the original rims in order to get these new rims???...still have to purchase a Bentley or an actual service manual.....
    Last edited by kraulto; 08-18-2004 at 12:00 AM.

The real benefit of renewing your suspension parts is that the car will handle like a slot car on rails. One thing I didn't mention. Get a godd 4 wheel alignment after all the work has been done. Then it will track even better than before.
    Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA

I see you've only posted a couple of times...

just wanted to let you know (if you didn't already) about www.bmaparts.com for all your bmw parts! The guys there know their stuff, and I think there is even a special they are running right now for members of this board.

Ehh... couldn't find the thread, but I'd just mention the special and I'm sure they'll give you the discount (I mean, I don't work there, but they are pretty cool over there)

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by kraulto
    Thanks for the input!!...RAPID WEAR huh???...holy smokes!!..I'm a predicament then, since I have traded in the original rims in order to get these new rims???...still have to purchase a Bentley or an actual service manual.....
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

Thanks Phillip but I have been on the forum since its started in the old format after defecting from Roadflea. The last six months have seen me very busy with work and not having the time to contribute, so I guess my name may be unfamiliar to a lot of people.

There are some great parts places in the US. Unfortunately, with the exchange rate it doesn't make it an economical exercise to buy from the US unless it can't be sourced from anywhere else. We are fortunate that there are a number of spare parts companies supporting BMW's down under. Also, we get pretty good service from the dealer network and if you handle it well enough you never need to pay full retail prices.
    Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA