GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where has all my coolant gone??

Default Where has all my coolant gone??

Hey guys, M50B25 motor... I got a "coolant level" ding the other day... figuring i might have a leaky gasket or heatercore thing gone wrong or something, I accepted a little bit of GRADUAL coolant loss... I haven't topped my coolant since this time last year. However, after topping it off, I started the car and drove 130 miles to get home again and have "coolant level" again. Being down the Jersey Shore i had no access to tools or anything so I just kept dropping distilled water in her until finally at home. Now I need to find out what's wrong. I have coolant sprits on the pulley directly below the water pump. This to me says either loose hose or some sort of leak. The alternator pulley has some residue (greenish blueish) on it and there were some small wet spots on my driveway. This doesn't seem to be a headgasket problem. My temperature, even with the leaking coolant never goes above the half-way mark. Is there any common reason why coolant would be falling out of the front of my engine?

Jon,
    Check the water pump and all hoses for leaks? Use a real bright spotlight, like one of those 1 mill candlepower jobs, while the engine is running?
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Default Sound like the water pump seal

Water pump has probably failed on the inside. Lets water drip out slowly when engine in running. On the up side, very easy and relatively cheap fix. Takes less than 30 minutes (once the engine has cooled down). While your at it you can check the condition of the belts. Good time to put a new one on and put the old one in the spares box.

John 535is

I had a split hose......would only lose coolant when runnibg..tell tale was bright(insert the coolant colour of choice here)puddles in traps and crevices visible with a torch.Try squeezing all of the hoses when your in the garage and if you hear a squelching sound you have found the culprit. And Jon check out this post,havent you done this?
    Last edited by Paul in NZ; 08-18-2004 at 05:33 AM.
    Gone but not forgotten

Default Thermostat housing?

Check the thermostat housing also, the original part is plastic, many places sell aluminum replacements. Don't forget to replace any ground wires that are bolted to the front of the engine. The motronic doesn't like them being disconnected.

Warren
    91 318is
    95 525iT

Ok...M50 motor and if this is the original water pump...you will need to do the following :
    1. Replace the water pump for metal impeller type.
    2. Replace thermostat
    3. Replace thermostat housing with ALUMINUM housing.
    4. Replace your hoses while you are at it.....

All of the above parts can be obtained from BMA.
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    I had a split hose......would only lose coolant when runnibg..tell tale was bright(insert the coolant colour of choice here)puddles in traps and crevices visible with a torch.Try squeezing all of the hoses when your in the garage and if you hear a squelching sound you have found the culprit. And Jon check out this post,havent you done this?

I checked the two hoses going to the waterpump, they are both not split. I cannot visually see where the leak is coming form. I THINK it's from the waterpump... my engine temperature gauge says its normal, never goind above half way. I keep topping the water off until I can get it fixed. It can't be the head gasket can it?

Paul,

I didn't do an Ipod, I have a CarPC hooked up to a 7" touchscreen and a second Alpine headunit which has a 6.5" LCD... I have an XBox hooked to the Alpine and a computer hooked to the 7"

Default same problem in my 90 535i

I have a 90 535i, 5 spd, 96K miles and am having a similar problem. Although I've found some "leaking" hoses, and have since tighten all of them down. I've checked the interior to see if the heater core was leaking and found no leaks anywhere, yet, I still seem to lose coolant.

I've checked everything. Usually, the blue coolant is readily noticeable. I do have the original water pump, but hear no noise and supposedly the water pump on the M30 engine has a metal propeller and is not known to cause trouble. Similarly, the M30 engine has a metal thermostat housing and no leaks there. Any other suggestions of where to look? Thanks!

Buy the sealer, u pour it in the radiatior and it worked great for me and my moms car, i was like putting collant like every 5 days but after that it stopped. U can find that in pepboys.
    "No matter how it looks its still my ride."

Default I hate to get to this...

dont recommend your Ideas on a BMW board.

just kidding!!! LOL if it worked for you it might work for a lot of others. Great idea!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast