GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Retrofit ASC+T (1995 540i/6)

Default Retrofit ASC+T (1995 540i/6)

Hey guys,

I'm pretty sure this is all possible in some manner. Anybody have an idea of the feasability? I know this means new ABS/ASC+T Hydro setup, plus a new ABS/ASC+T controll unit, not to mention the little things like extra/new hoses and whatnot, but is it really something that's doable?

Thanks for any hints!

Owner - Willamette Valley Motor Sports, LLC

Shaun, you don't have ASC+T? I though all 540i/6's came with it?

I can check through the ETK and see what is associated with ASC+T...not sure it'd be worth the effort though. If you're comfortable with a rear-wheel drive car with lots of power, you probably don't want it. I turn mine off in dry weather...I find that it thinks some feathering of the clutch during shifts is wheel slippage and strangles the engine...not the best for forward acceleration...

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Seems like a lot of work for something of such... limited benefit!

Just to show you what I'm talking about, my 525i had asc, with the stock 15" wheels/tires, and I had less trouble with the 535i with no asc or traction and 17" wheels last winter. And for half the winter, I was on worn yokohama avs dbs! I credit the limited slip in the 535i though, the 525i had an open diff. I live on a ski hill in NY, which isn't exactly the first to get plowed when snow attacks.

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

Default Forget that!

[I mean, forget retrofitting ASC+T]

You have a great car . . . I think what you really want is a 3.25 Quaife (or other) LSD. That would both enhance your performance and help you out in rough weather.

Far as I can tell, ASC+T is more or less an idiot-proofing device (for those who don't know that when the tires won't grip, things will only get worse if they don't take their foot out of the throttle). It can be effective in the wet and on loose surfaces, but not so much on snow. Personally, I would prefer a limited slip, so I recommend that you put any $ you are prepared to spend on ASC+T into the LSD.

mmmmmm . . . LSD.

p.s. Duey, I know it was an option on U.S. 6-speeds.

Cheers,

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    Hey guys,

I'm pretty sure this is all possible in some manner. Anybody have an idea of the feasability? I know this means new ABS/ASC+T Hydro setup, plus a new ABS/ASC+T controll unit, not to mention the little things like extra/new hoses and whatnot, but is it really something that's doable?

Thanks for any hints!

Greg, now that you mention it, I recall it being an option...I just never heard of a non-ASC+T equipped 540 6-shooter. Now an LSD on the other hand...that'd be nice!

[Homer voice] Mmmmm...LSD... [/Homer voice]

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by G Feller
    [I mean, forget retrofitting ASC+T]

You have a great car . . . I think what you really want is a 3.25 Quaife (or other) LSD. That would both enhance your performance and help you out in rough weather.

Far as I can tell, ASC+T is more or less an idiot-proofing device (for those who don't know that when the tires won't grip, things will only get worse if they don't take their foot out of the throttle). It can be effective in the wet and on loose surfaces, but not so much on snow. Personally, I would prefer a limited slip, so I recommend that you put any $ you are prepared to spend on ASC+T into the LSD.

mmmmmm . . . LSD.

p.s. Duey, I know it was an option on U.S. 6-speeds.

Cheers,

Greg
    couldnt agree more i have it and only turn it on when its slippery, if you want to put anything into it definately go with a good LSD

steve mackney
    1993 540ia

Thanks for all the input guys!

I'll definitely be going for the LSD, hopefully sooner than later.

Have an opportunity to get the expensive parts (controller and ABS hydro block) for cheap, so I figured I'd ask about feasability. My thinking isn't really that it'd be for me; I'd likely run with it off 99% of the time. But I do have a wife whom drives my car, and well... one of the posts mentioned something about being more of an idiot-proofing toy than anything else

Thanks again!

Owner - Willamette Valley Motor Sports, LLC