GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any way to use the integrated phone wiring?

tivoaaron Guest

Default any way to use the integrated phone wiring?

Newbie here. Sorry if this question has been covered a million times, although I did do a search and didn't see anything.

When I first got my 1995 540i (around 1997) I used the integrated analog phone for a while. It was awesome in terms of functionality, using the stereo, etc.

Of course, now everything is digital.

Any way I can use what's there but hook it up to my current phone? I don't need charging or anything, but it would sure be nice to use the mic and the speakers that are already there.

If anyone's done this or has any leads I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Aaron

Default What does the integrated system look like?

Another newbie here...

I just got a 1995 540i a month ago. It has a hands free phone system installed in it. The phone is missing. I was wondering how I could tell whether it is a BMW integrated system or some other aftermarket system?

Just as you mentioned, I'd like to get the integrated system in my car (if it is indeed the BMW system) to work with my digital phone.

I can't be certain, but it looks like the system in my car was designed to work with some sort of Nokia phone. In fact, some of the hands free kits at www.connects2.com look similar to the one in my car. I've not been able to find a picture of the BMW system.

In any case, the Nokia phone I have now (3100) is way to small for the cradle and none of the plugs match. I was hoping that I'd just have to replace the cradle and everything else would work. But from other messages I've seen on the web (www.expansys.com, et. al.) it looks like there are some voltage differences, too. It seems that there is some sort of control unit that would have to be replaced also.

BTW: what functions does the integrated BMW phone system have?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Cambridge; 08-12-2004 at 10:21 PM.

you can hook a garage door opener to it and use the stalk switch to open the door, plus you can run the remote off the cars power and say good bye to battery replacment (most of em run on 12v)
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Mine opener runs at 9, been running at 12 for a while and it hasn't complained yet.

Default Anton/Winfred, How does one install....

a garage door opener into the phone system? Can a home alarm system remote control also be hooked to it? Tell us more!
    Thanks,
    John R
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

It is as simple as using soldering the switch of the remote to the system. The question is... do you want to lose your display for OBC... you know... time, MPG, etc... by your speedometer? If no, then forget it.

If yes, then you have to determine if your remote control can handle 14V... most remote these days are 3V... sometime 9V... you will need some sort of a voltage reducer to make it work... without frying your remote control to crisp.

Default More questions...

Where do you solder the switch to the system? Is the harness in the trunk? Why would I loose the OBC display? I looked at the owners manual this morning and it said the phone displayed to the instrument panel readout. If I did wire a remote to the phone system, would it only momentarily loose the OBC display, like when I push the stalk in to open the door? Sounds like I've found a weekend project since Hurricane Charlie might send some tropical fluids my way!

John R
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

Default I think I have the procedure at home......

I believe that I saved the procedure and will check on my computer at home since this was one mod I was interested in doing a while back.

JDillon

the phone is switched from the wiper stalk not the turn signal stalk, so you should still be able to scroll through the obc

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    It is as simple as using soldering the switch of the remote to the system. The question is... do you want to lose your display for OBC... you know... time, MPG, etc... by your speedometer? If no, then forget it.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

The harness is located underneath the center console (where the bmw phone is suposed to be located). The center console I believe is held by two screws located in the rear. I don't remember exactly but I believe the the phone stalk switch grounds the +12v purple wire. Check it with a DMM first. Make sure that the openere isn't too close to metal as from my experience it decreases the signal strentgh greatly. Ideally you want to run a voltage regulator, but you are only going to be running this thing for a second or two, it may handle larger voltages than what it was designed for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast