GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: How can I tell if my car can accept a "check engine" bulb?

Default How can I tell if my car can accept a "check engine" bulb?

525ia M20 manufactured 11/89. I don't get the "check engine" light at startup, and I know it was common for some E34's to not have the light. I also know that not all Motronics were equipped to handle the bulb, so flashed it continuously. How can I tell if I have the right Motronic version, will the instrument cluster diagnostic test tell me? Or do I have to check the serial number on the DME?

I suppose I could just buy a bulb and stick it in, but why waste $1!

as far as i know , euro/nz models dont have that feature

Quote Originally Posted by Brent in NZ hartge 535i
    as far as i know , euro/nz models dont have that feature
    Mine's a Japper... Complete with non-smiley headlights and "CATALYST - OWNERS HANDBOOK" message at startup (if you don't unplug the little thermoswitch unit), not the same as a US model because it has rear foglights. Guess I'll just explore the dash a little.

I had the same experience in my euro '89 525i. Since my odometer bulb needed replacing, I put a bulb in the "check engine" socket so I can do the stomp test. It works (I get the fault codes) but the price you have to pay is that the light stays on while driving.

Dan

Stomp test definitely works on the Australian version - well at least on my car, a 1989 535i. I followed the instructions on the BMWE34.net site, with a few minor modifications of my own. You could try transferring a bulb from another socket on the back of the instrument cluster (maybe the foglights indicator light) to see if anything is happening at the check control socket. I don't know if there is any risk of damage to the electronics but that is what I did, with no problems.

Bill G

Hi,

myne 88 E34 had always flickerring "check engine", when I inserted the bulb there.
    After that I have checked page at:
    http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/engine_codes.htm
    "Older E34 bulb wiring
    In '88 and '89 E34 (maybe early '90) the PROM in the Motronic computer was not ready to accept the check engine light for the instrument cluster and when a bulb was installed in the socket in the cluster it would flash all the time when driving along even though no fault codes are registered. But if the 5 stomp test on the pedal was done it did activate the code retrieval system and the light would flash in correct sequence. Now there are 2 ways of getting around this constant flashing of the light when driving: putting a newer eprom or following the procedure."

Hi ,

yes i agree with Bill G, i have seen it working on many australian models.

i have also seen many bulbs merely removed to hide possible problems with the car especially when the car is being sold ie: if it were fitted would otherwise be on..

dont let this put you off however, i do not know the situation with the NZ cars but i would certainly throw a bulb in there and see if it works, i doubt that you would do any damage (famous last words)

best of luck

steve mackney
    1993 540ia (+ 2 previous E34s)

Mate, I would be more worried about having to rip the dash out to get at it. Not a hard job just heart stopping the first time you do it! The best thing I can suggest is to get a BMW ETK (try ebay) and feed your VIN number in to see what you have.

Nice photo. You weren't flooging your car around a racetrack were you?. What a shameful thing to do...

Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA

Mate, I would be more worried about having to rip the dash out to get at it. Not a hard job just heart stopping the first time you do it! The best thing I can suggest is to get a BMW ETK (try ebay) and feed your VIN number in to see what you have.

Nice photo. You weren't flogging your car around a racetrack were you?. What a shameful thing to do...

Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA