GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change indicator reset

Default Oil Change indicator reset

when i first bought the car , changed the oil , and the shop did a reset ( i "think" it was a complete service reset but i am not sure.

Ever since than (10000 miles ago) I changed my own oil (3 times so far)and never bothered to reset the lights.

After 10k miles , the oil servive light went on,green light are all out and i am now down to a yellow light .

Question :
    should I do an oil reset or a service reset since its been so long.
    Or is a service reset required only when the service light is on ?

thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Drooby
    when i first bought the car , changed the oil , and the shop did a reset ( i "think" it was a complete service reset but i am not sure.

Ever since than (10000 miles ago) I changed my own oil (3 times so far)and never bothered to reset the lights.

After 10k miles , the oil servive light went on,green light are all out and i am now down to a yellow light .

Question :
    should I do an oil reset or a service reset since its been so long.
    Or is a service reset required only when the service light is on ?

thanks for the info

hi, 3 oil changes in 10,000miles if i read that corrrectly is more than adequate .....(once would have done?)

ask your mechanic if he has a resetting tool... this resets your computor when he services the car.. i change my own oil etc and purchased my own (computer) reseting tool and it does the job for me,........good luck to you....

I am planning on "making" my own tool ,its just a short circuit with a fuse on it (from what i understand) - i wanted to know if i needed todo a oil service reset or a full maintenance reset ?

Quote Originally Posted by aussie540i
    hi, 3 oil changes in 10,000miles if i read that corrrectly is more than adequate .....(once would have done?)

ask your mechanic if he has a resetting tool... this resets your computor when he services the car.. i change my own oil etc and purchased my own (computer) reseting tool and it does the job for me,........good luck to you....

Default Resetting service lights

You don't have to reset any service lights. They are just there for the conveniece of people who don't keep track of when the service should be done.
    I usually just go ahead and reset them both, as I don't go by the recommended interval anyway.

1995 540iA - 1988 535i 5 Speed
    1980 528i 5 Speed - 1980 528iA (Sold)

I JUST GRound pin 19 of the diagnostic connector to one of the nuts on the shock tower for 3 seconds for an oil service reset. i don't like seeing the little oil service light, even if the interval it displays for is far too long.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Exactly, and if your real lazy

ground it for longer and wallah! your inspection has just been completed also.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default thought pin 19 was a ground & pin 7 is the reset pin?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    I JUST GRound pin 19 of the diagnostic connector to one of the nuts on the shock tower for 3 seconds for an oil service reset. i don't like seeing the little oil service light, even if the interval it displays for is far too long.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I use pin 7 and ground on my 1994 525i (e34 M50 engine). I turn the ignition switch to the second position. then connect pin 7 to ground for 5 seconds to reset the oil service light. Leave it connect for 11 seconds to reset the maintenence lights. Make sure you turn the ignition on first, then connect the wires. You will see the light bar come back to full and you know it reset. I had bought one of those reset tools, used it once then it broke, so now I do the method above and it works fine.

Which is Pin 7 - the one the "pacman" is going for or the one underneath it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast