GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Ignition switch/tumbler won't turn

Default Ignition switch/tumbler won't turn

Hi guys,

My 1990 525 has developed an annoying fault. The ignition switch/tumbler doesn't turn. Sometimes it will turn enough to unlock the steering wheel. What can I do about this?

Thanks,

mark

Mark
    This seems to be a common problem. My car is a 1989 535 which I think is a similar set up. Mine eventually let me down completely, had to get towed home. To get the lock cylinder out you need to be able to turn the key to first position, about 60 degrees from locked position, and insert thin stiff wire through the small hole in the lock cylinder face to release the cylinder, which pulls out - this takes a lot of fiddling to get right. In my case, and I think this is usual, there was nothing wrong with the lock cylinder. The problem was the steering lock mechanism which is operated by a tongue on the end of the lock cylinder. I had to remove the steering wheel and replace the steering lock housing which is the casting at the top of the steering column. If this is your problem one of the things you will have to do is remove the shear bolt (headless bolt) at top of the casting. To get to it telescope the adjustable steering column right out and lower the column by loosening the bolts underneath. The shear bolt can be removed by carefully tapping with a hammer and centrepunch to dig into the head and turn it.
    Regards
    Bill