GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Popping and Backfiring

Default Popping and Backfiring

Popping and Backfiring

I foolishly wash down my '92 525i engine three weeks ago, I clearly did not wet the computers. Now, about a week ago, my engine started to pop or backfire between 2000-3000 rpm, I assumed it was bad gas, so I add dry gas, injector cleaner, etc. now the start of the second week, same problem... a computer was hooked up to the engine,sparkpugs, coil, all components are working find, no sensor faults were found, after 3k rpm the engine runs fine...any suggestion on what to try ?

you might have water remaining in the spark plug wells, that's what mine did after i washed it and water got into the wells. it might have killed a coil by now, if it never dried out completely.

Quote Originally Posted by pineman
    Popping and Backfiring

I foolishly wash down my '92 525i engine three weeks ago, I clearly did not wet the computers. Now, about a week ago, my engine started to pop or backfire between 2000-3000 rpm, I assumed it was bad gas, so I add dry gas, injector cleaner, etc. now the start of the second week, same problem... a computer was hooked up to the engine,sparkpugs, coil, all components are working find, no sensor faults were found, after 3k rpm the engine runs fine...any suggestion on what to try ?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Is it backfiring or missing?

Default I check the plug again...

Thanks...I don't know what else to try, we did check each plug, they were dry, I guess I will check in the wells...the problem of popping(backfiring) only occurs between 2-3 rpm, then it runs fines, Also, each coil was checked on the computer, they were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    you might have water remaining in the spark plug wells, that's what mine did after i washed it and water got into the wells. it might have killed a coil by now, if it never dried out completely.

Backing , then it is missing between 2-3 rpm, then it runs fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Anton CH.
    Is it backfiring or missing?