GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Learning about 4HP22 transmission

Default Learning about 4HP22 transmission

Can someone let me know the pin out assignment (at X2000 35 pins) for the Electronic transmission control (AEGS) in cars with three position programming switch for the transmission, and PROBABLY 5 solenoids? EGS control part number is 24 60 1 218 200 (supercedes 24 60 1 218 201) an is Labeled code CB.

I have been able to locate some drawings corresponding to E34 1989, but unfortunately, they do not show the pin corresponding to Solenoid 4 (Reverse gear inhibit lock solenoid valve). I have been able to confirm proper operation of the Automatic transmission Range Selection switch, and the program switch. Also I have read ohm values for the different Valve body solenoids (But the 4). The results were as follows: Common pin at X2000 is Pin 1. Pin 16 corresponds to Solenoid 1 34 ohms, Pin 22 corresponds to Solenoid 2 is 7 ohms????, Pin 17 corresponds to Solenoid 3 is 34 ohms, Pin 25 corresponds to Solenoid 5 is 34 ohms. Speed sensor are pins 8 to 27 and read about 350 ohms.

It called my attention the low ohm value on solenoid 2, may be someone can confirm. Also looked for continuity from any pin to Pin 1 looking for the pin corresponding to Solenoid 4 and found nothing. I suspect pin 10 or 26 may be the one, as they are not assigned to anything in the drawings but they are there. May be there is no solenoid 4 at all.

I read from SI B24 04 91 that BMW issue some AEGS helper cards to facilitate pin by pin testing of the EGS, may be someone have this info available.

Javier, BMW in successive years changed the round external trans interface serial connector pin count around MY 1989...you can check the ETK to confirm the transistion point as the trans P/N would change accordingly. This change may or may not affect the interface to the 35 pin trans control module. My suggestion is take a picture of the trans control connector...your answer may be in the back of Bentley...I haven't scrutinized it that close...and then number each terminal with say MSPaint.
    The resident expert on these transmissions is Kirt Koeller. Here is his contact information: E-mail him the picture and explain your issue. BTW, do you have a 3rd-4th gear shifting issue corresponding to low resistance for what may be solenoid no.4?

Kirt Koeller’s contact info:
    Autosports Unlimited
    Ask for Kirt Koeller
    (800)624-3876 ext 5735 or direct at
    (616)748-5735
    europetransman@hotmail.com

Be sure to let us know what you find out.

Default New findings

I have completed the debugging of the schematics of my transmission gear, and found that my car, in spite of the fact that it does have a three position program switch, it does not have the old Solenoid 4. It keeps my attention why it does show a resistance reading (Ohms) between pins 8 and 1 of the transmission plug (Hydraulic pressure regulator) of 6 ohms, wile the rest of the solenoids show 34 ohms. If anybody can clarify, I would appreciate. In the mean time, I’m waiting for the opinion on this, from a friend working for a BMW dealer in USA.

Also opened the oil pan of the transmission and got about 3 quarters of a dark brown oil. I have posted some pictures of the residues in the pan, some drops of oil in white bond paper and the same drops once spread in the paper to better evaluate color. See:

http://caracas.intercable.net.ve/jgandra/BMWE34/BMWE34.htm
    Would also appreciate opinions on the oil and pan findings related to the possible damage in the mechanics of the transmission. Somebody suggested me to change filter and oil (Wold be 1rst time in 50K miles). Would like to hear from the forum before spending a new filter and some new oil if the trany is fried. The car has normal performance when going forward.

Javier

What did Kirt have to say? Sounds like your trans is toast. A filter and oil is cheap so you may want see if your V/B is plugged before you pull it. No reason that you haven't changed the trans fluid in less than 50k if you have owned the car for that long other than neglect.