GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Anyone have a wide band O2 sensor they use?

Default Anyone have a wide band O2 sensor they use?

I'm curious if anyone is running one on their E34. Jeff has one, but the readings seem to be way low... maybe because it's in his glove box?
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

I'm using the split second narrow band (0.2 ~ 0.8V) air fuel ratio meter. It conditions the signal enough to make relevant readings, I think. It is tapped off the stock sensor wiring in the black plastic housing over the injectors.
    erased due to slander

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    I'm using the split second narrow band (0.2 ~ 0.8V) air fuel ratio meter. It conditions the signal enough to make relevant readings, I think. It is tapped off the stock sensor wiring in the black plastic housing over the injectors.
    So that snoops the stock O2 voltage and converts it to an a/f ratio using a programmed look-up table?

I'm looking at a $55 data acquisition card that sticks onto your laptop's parallel port and can record 8 analog and 4 digital (TTL) signals... Couple that with a plug that taps into the motronic input and you should be able to read the O2 signal, timing advance, pulse duration, RPM, throttle signal, IAT, head temp, and maybe MAP...

I'm itchin to know what all that stuff reads as I drive down the road. You could also to dyno pulls with that information plus some math.

Anyone know what the G-Tech will record?
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Robin...you likely know this...A/F gauges working off of a conventional narrow band O2 sensor are marginal at best. You would be better served with a WBO2 set up such as Autometer sells...much more accurate for tuning A/F...what a lot of the NO2 boys use to tune their wet systems to prevent running too lean with a window switch or at WOT. You would have to install a separate bung/WB02...incidently watch your bung hole if Kobe is around :-)
    Do you know where the DME interface plug is that taps into the Motronic you mention?

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    Robin...you likely know this...A/F gauges working off of a conventional narrow band O2 sensor are marginal at best. You would be better served with a WBO2 set up such as Autometer sells...much more accurate for tuning A/F...what a lot of the NO2 boys use to tune their wet systems to prevent running too lean with a window switch or at WOT. You would have to install a separate bung/WB02...incidently watch your bung hole if Kobe is around :-)
    I figure I can start with the stock reading and add the WBO2 in parallel (temporally, not electrically). My fear of the stock O2 sensor is that it's so non-linear that I'd need a good calibration to reverse the ratio from the voltage.
    Do you know where the DME interface plug is that taps into the Motronic you mention?
    I'd planned on just using the main plug to the DME chassis, looks like a big SCSI plug kind of. I'll have to fab a male/female/splice piece if possible, or splice into the existing cable... which I don't want to do for originality's sake.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

I think you want one of these.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/lm1.php

Wideband sensor replaces the narrowband. E-box has an output that conditions the signal to mimic a narrowband. No need for a new bung, second sensor, second set of wiring, anything.

Price is pretty right. Has logging. Only bummer is that you have to pony up another $120 for the RPM cable if you really want to ship lambda logs to guys like Mark D.

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy