GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT Diesel valve clearance?

Default OT Diesel valve lash?

Mitsubishi 3 cylinder diesel from my lawn monster (Ransome Ryder Bobcat). Wondering where I should start setting this, the guy from Germany is closed indefinetly and I have NO other info on this ancient thing.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 08-03-2004 at 04:39 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default engine is Mitsubishi r3d-61rg whatever that means

3d is 3 cyl diesel, 61 is inch cut so I dont think this really helps.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Jeff, a new Detroit 8V92 takes .016"...older model 71's and 92's could take anywhere up to .050-.060" of lash. A Cummins 5.9L ISB 12 or 24-valve takes 0.010" (.006-.012" acceptable) intake and 0.020" exhaust (.015-.030 acceptable). Intakes roughly take half the lash as the exhausts.

If it were a bigger diesel, I'd take a shot at .008"-.010" intake and .016"-.020" exhaust and go from there. Since it's a smaller unit, and diesel's are most often "interference-fit" engines...I think you're better to have a bit more lash than less to keep the valve faces from impacting the piston if the lash is too little and the stems really lengthen when up to operating temp.... 0.020 intake, 0.040 exhaust would be really safe. To be honest though, I'd think a shorter/smaller valve would expand less when hot and anything in the .010"-.020" range should be OK.

Jeff, I had the valve cover off on my TDI Jetta a few weeks ago and could have measure the lash for you, buddy! Maybe I'll do that later if I'm really bored?

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Default Thanks Duey,

I guessed at .015 to start cold, it ran and I mowed the range. Ran a lot quieter than at .028 and the hot lash was between .008-.012 which I feel is adequite for both the intake and ex., dont want to torch the exhaust valve heads off. Cant believe how quiet it is, the hammering on cold aluminum sound is gone and it sounds great from a distance too. Maybe I'll take this to the meet Saturday!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

here's the manual for a mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel marine motor, in dutch and english

http://www.boten.nl/motoren/vetus.html

click on the 4.5 mb file, it says that the cold valve clearances should be .25 mm for both.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

.25 mm? Thats close to .010 english right? I see what happened now, I think when I got the lash setting originally I assumed it to be english and didnt even think about metrics...dumb ehh? The lash has been more than double for 9 years now.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

yeah, .25mm is about .010ish...don't know if that applies to your particular engine, but i think thats as close as yer gonna get to specs for a mitsubishi 3 cylinder diesel without contacting the manufacturer of the tractor or mitsubishi themselves
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Thats close enough, 10 years ago when

I rebuilt the engine I had to order the parts through some guy in England who was quite knowledgable on that engine. Since then the number is disconnected and there are no options at mitsubishi, I hope I never need any other hard parts.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Default Where did you find this??

I searched for HOURS and came up with a big Zero.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

soooo....does the one pictured look anything like the one on your tractor? just curious. yeah, it was a bih to find, seems that they put more of these on boats than lawn/garden/farm implements, found it in a "new" (2004) boating newsgroup posting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast