GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: What are the symptoms of a bad flex disc (guibo?)

Default What are the symptoms of a bad flex disc (guibo?)

As the subject states, are the symptoms of a bad flex disc? also known as guibo, I think.

Here's my problem... when costing toward a stop and then pressing in the clutch, upon the pedal being pressed in, there's a noise, sort of like a little hit.
    It seems to be coming from the driveline somewhere, in the driver's seat, it sounds like it coming from the clutch (area), but I don't think that is it, as the clutch has been replace about 10k miles ago.

Anyone have an idea of what it could be?

Secondly, my car is now making a lot more wind noise from under the hood... like the aux fan is always on or something (sounds like there would a few fans, and their speed were related to engine speed ... it did not do that before)... maybe it's the recent higher temps?
    I always turn the AC off before I turn the engine off, and this fan noise is alwasy presnt, AC or off.

Thanks,
    -Kamil

Default You most likely have a broken transmission mount. The guibo starts out as a

vibration when accelerating usually from 20 to 40 mph and when it gets severe enough just before it comes aparts you can hear the fibers of the guibo smacking the tunnel each time the driveshaft comes around , kind of a tsht tsht brushing sound... about this time its going to come apart completely and if you look real good out the rear view mirror when you hear a loud bang you'll see pieces of the guibo going down the road... A broken transmission mount on the other hand will allow the transmission to jerk up and down once each time you have a load on the driveshaft such as coasting down and suddenly releasing the load by pressing the clutch in... Of course a bad center bearing or guibo can do similar symptoms but they would be accompanied by a vibration when accelerating
    And yes the fan will run with the recent higher temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil
    As the subject states, are the symptoms of a bad flex disc? also known as guibo, I think.

Here's my problem... when costing toward a stop and then pressing in the clutch, upon the pedal being pressed in, there's a noise, sort of like a little hit.
    It seems to be coming from the driveline somewhere, in the driver's seat, it sounds like it coming from the clutch (area), but I don't think that is it, as the clutch has been replace about 10k miles ago.

Anyone have an idea of what it could be?

Secondly, my car is now making a lot more wind noise from under the hood... like the aux fan is always on or something (sounds like there would a few fans, and their speed were related to engine speed ... it did not do that before)... maybe it's the recent higher temps?
    I always turn the AC off before I turn the engine off, and this fan noise is alwasy presnt, AC or off.

Thanks,
    -Kamil