GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insulation and Plug Qs

Default Insulation and Plug Qs

Can this AC insulation be easily found at, say, BMA? Also, I was cleaning in the area of the subframe, and chipped the top of this plug with little effort. It crumbled like a club cracker. What is this plug for, and can I also buy this?

http://www.geocities.com/frothlikn/classic_tan17.html

the plug is nothing, it's just filling a hole
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Hector,
    If you can't find the insulation at BMA, its quite generic and common to all AC systems...including home central air systems...and should be readily available at any HVAC or plumbing supply store or likely a NAPA or auto parts store. Common for this insulation to erode over time due to high under hood temps and repeated thermal cycling over many years.

As to the plugs...they are to prevent ingression of any kind of contamination...mostly to prevent water infiltration. You might also wonder about the holes themselves...why they exist...I am sure many on the board have asked themselves...as any holes in frame rails are counter productive to structural integrity. If you pull the plugs and look inside, they are also walled...for four reasons...to lessen structural compromise of adding the holes thereby maintaining torsional and bending strength...second, prevent further contamination...the other two reasons being function related. The holes exist as 3-dimensional locating datums for construction of the frame from the front rad support rearward during the car's fabrication. Dimensional accuracy is not only key to overall fit and finish of the car but contributes to driveablity and frame rail alignment to allow the suspension to function at its full potential. BMW's attention to detail and adherance to the highest tolerances over and above material selection is one of the things that makes a BMW a cut above ordinary cars. Large pins are part of a master jig/fixture in the assembly plant that control the position of one side rail relative to the other in X, Y and Z direction to maintain precise dimensional correctness...based upon a Geometric Dimension & Tolerancing (GD&T) scheme that prioritizes which dimensions are most critical to function and fit and finish. Its much more than being accountable to high tolerances...its about the hierarchy and interaction of each nominal dimension and tolerance that spells the difference between success and a mediocre design. There are many ill conceived designs out there that won't stand up to the test of production variation. The frame rails are the building blocks for the entire front of the car and set the dimensional foundation...including mounting of both engine and thrust arm cross-members with much higher control than you will see on lesser cars.
    HTH.

again George all I can say is WOW...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Thanks guys.

George thanks for the explanation of the hole. Seems like any little thing that doesn't seem to have a purpose had a puprose during the making of the car.

Damn George you make me feel like I'm back in school! Mechanical engineer I think? You guys do even more math than us poor electical engineers...

1992 BMW 535i - New Headlights, cold air intake and Supersprint Exhaust

Marc

Default Here's the points that George is talking about, by checking them

in an x pattern you can tell if everything is true and square.

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    Hector,
    If you can't find the insulation at BMA, its quite generic and common to all AC systems...including home central air systems...and should be readily available at any HVAC or plumbing supply store or likely a NAPA or auto parts store. Common for this insulation to erode over time due to high under hood temps and repeated thermal cycling over many years.

As to the plugs...they are to prevent ingression of any kind of contamination...mostly to prevent water infiltration. You might also wonder about the holes themselves...why they exist...I am sure many on the board have asked themselves...as any holes in frame rails are counter productive to structural integrity. If you pull the plugs and look inside, they are also walled...for four reasons...to lessen structural compromise of adding the holes thereby maintaining torsional and bending strength...second, prevent further contamination...the other two reasons being function related. The holes exist as 3-dimensional locating datums for construction of the frame from the front rad support rearward during the car's fabrication. Dimensional accuracy is not only key to overall fit and finish of the car but contributes to driveablity and frame rail alignment to allow the suspension to function at its full potential. BMW's attention to detail and adherance to the highest tolerances over and above material selection is one of the things that makes a BMW a cut above ordinary cars. Large pins are part of a master jig/fixture in the assembly plant that control the position of one side rail relative to the other in X, Y and Z direction to maintain precise dimensional correctness...based upon a Geometric Dimension & Tolerancing (GD&T) scheme that prioritizes which dimensions are most critical to function and fit and finish. Its much more than being accountable to high tolerances...its about the hierarchy and interaction of each nominal dimension and tolerance that spells the difference between success and a mediocre design. There are many ill conceived designs out there that won't stand up to the test of production variation. The frame rails are the building blocks for the entire front of the car and set the dimensional foundation...including mounting of both engine and thrust arm cross-members with much higher control than you will see on lesser cars.
    HTH.

Default The mind is a terrible thing to waste...

since I've joined this forum, Ive been going to school.

Quote Originally Posted by 1992 BMW 535i
    Damn George you make me feel like I'm back in school! Mechanical engineer I think? You guys do even more math than us poor electical engineers...

Default So how do I order these plugs. What are they called?

n/txt

Default I think this is the one you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector
    n/txt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast