GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1992 535ia automatic transmission trouble.

Default 1992 535ia automatic transmission trouble.

Today, my BMW decided to give me a headache. My wife took it out in the morning, and she described the behavior as if the gas pedal was not working fine. I guess it is her way to say that the car was not showing its usual power response. The situation got worse along the highway so she decided to park in the building I have my office as she passes by (about 5 miles from home). When she tried to back up in the selected parking place, the reverse gear was not engaging.

When I got to the car, turn on the motor looking for her claim about weird behavior , and it was smooth, D, 3, 2 and 1 gear engage fine, but R does not engage. The R symbol appears correctly in the dash board, and it is felt a rev up in the engine when switched to R. We decided to took the car back home, so I drove back the BMW and found the trany working fine when in forward, in all programs (E, S and M) shifting is smooth and on time, no slip is felt, no power loss, but when arrived home, the reverse still don’t engage. Tonight, when cooled down, it is still not engaging. Checked the oil, level is OK and no special smell or color, all seems to be as usual. No Check Control indications either.

If there is something I’m scare to mess with is the trany. May be it is time to learn.

Any suggestions?

First step is always clean all the electric interfaces to the trans...both switches under the shifter base...serial connector to the trans...speed sensor in the diff etc.
    But sounds like the dreaded A-clutch failure....may be just the switch under the base...but you are getting an R in the display showing engagement. Study the archives for pertinent info. Call Kirt Koeller...his contact info is in there. You may be looking at a trans rebuild.
    Good Luck.

Default Troubleshooting manual

George, I will check all the circuits, and switches per your suggestion. Here is an extract of what I found in the troubleshooting manual. Hope it is not related to the mechanics of the transmission, as there are no signs in the oil of wearing out components nor side effects in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear.

I'll keep Kirt as my last resource as not being in USA, it bill become a little bit complicated having replacement transmission shipped to Miami to be forwarded to Caracas, Venezuela.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Javier; 07-30-2004 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Forgot attachement

Good Javier,
    By your post, believe you will take a measured approach. The crescent shaped trans select switch under the shifter base is known to go bad from time to time in these cars...first try a thorough cleaning....also clean the manual select switch with contact cleaner...let them both thoroughly dry before trying it. Consult the E-32 Roadfly achives...myself and others have written extensively about this. It could even be the trans control module but this is very rare. Your issue may indeed be electronic as it many times is...particularly with 1st gear intact.

Default May be someone can help me clarify these questions

I have a German 1992 535ia WBAHD21000BF45492, per the literature I have been able to gather, it should be equipped with a 4HP-22-EH. It is provided with a selector handle including 1, 2, 3, D, N ,R & P and a program selector E, S & M. But: The schematics for this year model on 4HP-22 show a program selector M, A ??? Is this because E, S & M are obtained as a combination of A and M switches, or there are just not my drawings? The BMW maintenance and repair manual for the 4HP-22 talk about problems in Solenoid 4 for a lack of reverse situation. But: The schematics for this year model on 4HP-22 show no Solenoid 4 at all, they skip from 3 to 5?? Have not put a finger in the car yet, just gathering all pertaining information first. Is my car equipped with a 4HP-22-EH? Is this transmission equipped with a Solenoid 4? What schematics should I be looking for?
    Last edited by Javier; 08-01-2004 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Incomplete

Default Refreshing nt

nt

on us e34/32 535/735 the early cars have e s m on the switch (to put it in sport you sellect it on the switch) around 90 they changed the system, the switch just has a m to use sport you yank it into 3rd, both trannys are known as the 4hp22 eh theres numbers and letters on the side that id the different versions that make no real sense, i've replaced the solonoids on the 525s chevy tranny but the 535s zf hardly ever screws up

Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    I have a German 1992 535ia WBAHD21000BF45492, per the literature I have been able to gather, it should be equipped with a 4HP-22-EH. It is provided with a selector handle including 1, 2, 3, D, N ,R & P and a program selector E, S & M. But: The schematics for this year model on 4HP-22 show a program selector M, A ??? Is this because E, S & M are obtained as a combination of A and M switches, or there are just not my drawings? The BMW maintenance and repair manual for the 4HP-22 talk about problems in Solenoid 4 for a lack of reverse situation. But: The schematics for this year model on 4HP-22 show no Solenoid 4 at all, they skip from 3 to 5?? Have not put a finger in the car yet, just gathering all pertaining information first. Is my car equipped with a 4HP-22-EH? Is this transmission equipped with a Solenoid 4? What schematics should I be looking for?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Yes you´re right Winfred...

I found the 3 position program switch (and solenoid 4) in the USA source E34 schematics pertaining to cars up to 1/89. Schenatics from 2/89 don't show it. Schematics from Europe though, show 3 position program switch in 1994.

How can BMW keep track of this salad!

Default The etk also shows more solenoids in the early 89 than in the later models, valve

body is different on the newer ones....

Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    I found the 3 position program switch (and solenoid 4) in the USA source E34 schematics pertaining to cars up to 1/89. Schenatics from 2/89 don't show it. Schematics from Europe though, show 3 position program switch in 1994.

How can BMW keep track of this salad!