GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Need some input (long)

Default Need some input (long)

I have a '91 525 that I really enjoy driving. However, there are a couple of things that I need some help with.

1. Tranny - My first issue/concern is engine/tranny related (I think). With my last car (not a bimmer), when I let off of the clutch slighty from the rest/stopped position the car would begin to roll on its own without the need for much gas. When I try this with my 525 (which has a new Sachs clutch), however, the car shakes or rattles violently (and for you wise guys, I am not talking about letting off of the clutch completely without any gas). Is this a tranny related problem? I have about 146K on the car.

2. Clutch - As I mentioned above, I recently had my mechanic install a new clutch. Early on it felt stiff going into second gear and when I down shifted from 4 down. This has tappered off, occasionally it occurs. For the most part it is smooth however. Is this normal?

3. Cigarette Ligher - Neither cigarette lighter works. While having some work done at the stealer, I ask them to fix the problem. Instead of fixing them they put in a new fuse (which I could have done) but the they still don't work. Any ideas?

4. Fog Light - At one point, the driver's side fog light would come on and then go out after 5 minutes. Recently, it is completely out. I am pretty sure that it is not the LKM because I checked it and if that were the case both fog lights would be out because both driver and passenger side operate from the same resistor. Any ideas?

5. Factory Alarm - Can anyone tell me where the module is for the factory alarm. I want to silence the alarm horn (which is not the bimmer horn) that blows when I activate and deactivate the alarm (it is annoying).

Any help with these issues/concerns of mine would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Paul
    '91 525i

1) When was the last time you looked at your master and slave cylinders for the clutch? I had a similar shake and rattle, though not as violent, and bleeding the clutch seeemed to help. How does the pedal feel?

2) Have you replaced the tranny fluid lately?

5) Under the back seat, it's a black box. Pop open the back, and there are a series of toggle switches.
    dave b
    93 525i
    156k +

Default location of alarm

You have two cigarette lighters? I only have one in the front ashtray on my 1994 530i...

Anyway, the factory alarm central module is under the rear seat opposite the battery. To lift the seat, just pull up with a LOT of force on the front edge of each side of the bench.

Hope this helps... let me know if you have any trouble getting the seat out...

John
    http://www.ganotis.com

3.......cig lighter. as nobody here has given me some pointers as to how to remove this, i've had to clean in situ. i have the same problem as you, blowing of the cig. lighter fuse, and a resulting nonfunctional cig lighter. i would take some contact cleaner and q-tips and clean it out as much as you possibly can. i didn't have any, and it was pissing me off, so i fired some pb blaster with a rag under the outlet, clean clean clean, and rinse with brake parts cleaner. this seems to have fixed it. i would use the contact cleaner, if i were you, as both of the solvents i mentioned will eat trim pieces.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default couple of things, first are you sure that a new sachs was put in?

The term for what you're describing is clutch chatter..... I have seen many clutches from autozone under the cumberland brand with this problem, usually on them its caused by the friction material being too hard... Other causes of clutch chatter can be , broken transmission mounts, a badly burn't flywheel surface with hardened spots and cracking on its face, any oil that has gotten onto the clutch surface will cause chatter, a warped pressure plate will chatter... First i would verify that it is a sachs disc and pressure plate being used. Then i would check the mounts to see if they are broken or bad

Quote Originally Posted by pgh2002
    I have a '91 525 that I really enjoy driving. However, there are a couple of things that I need some help with.

1. Tranny - My first issue/concern is engine/tranny related (I think). With my last car (not a bimmer), when I let off of the clutch slighty from the rest/stopped position the car would begin to roll on its own without the need for much gas. When I try this with my 525 (which has a new Sachs clutch), however, the car shakes or rattles violently (and for you wise guys, I am not talking about letting off of the clutch completely without any gas). Is this a tranny related problem? I have about 146K on the car.

2. Clutch - As I mentioned above, I recently had my mechanic install a new clutch. Early on it felt stiff going into second gear and when I down shifted from 4 down. This has tappered off, occasionally it occurs. For the most part it is smooth however. Is this normal?

3. Cigarette Ligher - Neither cigarette lighter works. While having some work done at the stealer, I ask them to fix the problem. Instead of fixing them they put in a new fuse (which I could have done) but the they still don't work. Any ideas?

4. Fog Light - At one point, the driver's side fog light would come on and then go out after 5 minutes. Recently, it is completely out. I am pretty sure that it is not the LKM because I checked it and if that were the case both fog lights would be out because both driver and passenger side operate from the same resistor. Any ideas?

5. Factory Alarm - Can anyone tell me where the module is for the factory alarm. I want to silence the alarm horn (which is not the bimmer horn) that blows when I activate and deactivate the alarm (it is annoying).

Any help with these issues/concerns of mine would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1) I will have that checked out and bleed the clutch. The pedal does not feel bad it is pretty smooth at this point.

2) I will have to check, but I am pretty sure that I got the fluid changed when I first purchased the car and got an inspection II done in November of last year (I have put about 8K miles on the car).

5) I will check out the back seat but I am not sure that that is where the location is because my car is a '91.

Thanks.
    Paul
    '91 525i

Quote Originally Posted by jg673
    You have two cigarette lighters? I only have one in the front ashtray on my 1994 530i...

Anyway, the factory alarm central module is under the rear seat opposite the battery. To lift the seat, just pull up with a LOT of force on the front edge of each side of the bench.

Hope this helps... let me know if you have any trouble getting the seat out...

John
    http://www.ganotis.com
    Will do...
    Paul
    '91 525i

It is definitely a Sachs kit because I ordered it and any other part that I have installed on the car from BMA (unless of course BMA bamboozled me, which I doubt). However, I think I will have the tranny mounts checked. Last time I was at the stealer they fixed a slow oil leak, but that was done prior to the installation of the clutch. Thanks.
    Paul
    '91 525i