GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does BMW continue to make 525s?

Default Why does BMW continue to make 525s?

Can someone please explain this to me. I could be wrong but didnt they end production of e39 525s when the 540 came out and then reintroduced it towards the end of the run? why? and why continue with the new ones? I could see how this might be a viable engine option in Europe but i dont get it for the US market. I never thought the 528 was a knockout performer, so why bring back an even less powerful engine? I would think they would be trying to put more power in the cars given how much japanese competitors have upped their numbers for alot less money. anyone have some interesting insight on this one? I saw a bangled 525i this morning on the way to work and its been on my mind all day...
    J

i believe that that particular engine displacement/horsepower output combination is a significant turning point for insurance rates in germany or europe, so they end up shipping them here anyways. ford/chevy/daimler still make pushrodded things that make less than that with more displacement, though
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default In the last E39 525i, the engine output was about...

the same as the output of the engine in the earlier E39 528i, with the E39 530i having an even higher output engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    Can someone please explain this to me. I could be wrong but didnt they end production of e39 525s when the 540 came out and then reintroduced it towards the end of the run? why? and why continue with the new ones? I could see how this might be a viable engine option in Europe but i dont get it for the US market. I never thought the 528 was a knockout performer, so why bring back an even less powerful engine? I would think they would be trying to put more power in the cars given how much japanese competitors have upped their numbers for alot less money. anyone have some interesting insight on this one? I saw a bangled 525i this morning on the way to work and its been on my mind all day...
    J

Default In the last E39 525i, the engine output was about...

the same as the output of the engine in the earlier E39 528i, with the E39 530i having an even higher output engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    J

E60 has the same 6-cyl engines as late E39.

think they'll ever make a 340i?

and could you even imagine a 360?!

what about an X7?

and what exactly does the "i" (like 540i) mean anyway? i know in the 740iL the L = long wheelbase. and in the 328is the s = sport/coupe. and x means 4 wheel drive such as an X5 or the 325ix

i ponder questions like these almost every day
    Last edited by Phil M; 07-28-2004 at 04:40 PM.

Default price point....

One of the reasons BMW offers the 525i is price point. There are people out there who are willing to pay $40K for a car and not care about straight line performance. The 525i is a solid engine that allows BMW to offer a 5 series car "under" $40K (list msrp is $39,800). People who buy this car will compare it to Japanese cars and may or may not be impressed more with things like name and gadgets like idrive, active roll stabilization, and adaptive headlights.

For those who need more, BMW currently offers the 325hp $545i starting at $58,300 ($55k if you want an auto) and of course, for the patient ones with lots of dough, the M5, expect it to sell in the $90-100K range!

the new m5 is almost overkill. did anyone see its nurburgring numbers? completed a lap 25 seconds faster than the previous m5. jesus christ. and this thing is a family sedan!

Default showing my age....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil M

and what exactly does the "i" (like 540i) mean anyway? i know in the 740iL the L = long wheelbase. and in the 328is the s = sport/coupe. and x means 4 wheel drive such as an X5 or the 325ix

i ponder questions like these almost every day
    In the old days, i = injected

the dealer told me i = injected, a = automatic when asked about a 318ia

They make the 525i simply because there is demand for it. Not only that, but I think it's a pretty good engine....of course, I'm biased
    dave b
    93 525i
    156k +

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast