GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: THM-R1 Transmission

Default THM-R1 Transmission

I have the GM tranny in my '93 525 Touring and I am in the middle of changing the fluid and filter. The Bentley shows a picture of the old pan with a dipstick. Mine looks more like the ZF with the drain and fill plugs. My question is, the filter kit has a second smaller gasket that fits the smaller pan in front of the main pan. It's about 5" x 12". It is not mentioned in the Bentley and has no fill or drain plug. What is this pan, and should I drop it and install the new gasket?
    Steve
    1989 M3
    1995 525i 5sp
    1993 525iT

if the fluid is nasty or the gasket is leaking then yes, the bolt holes strip real easy so becareful not to overtorque the 10mm bolts. 91 was the only year to have a dipstick, fill through the hole on left side of pan, fill till full then start motor then fill till full, drive about 5 miles then check while running in neutral, it should just be running out the hole (yes it's a pain in the ass without a lift)
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Ok, so that small pan does have fluid in it? I'll just do it because I'm there. I'm hoping this will take car of my shifting problem. I hate having to learn a new car. After having the M3 for 7 years I feel like it is a part of me.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    if the fluid is nasty or the gasket is leaking then yes, the bolt holes strip real easy so becareful not to overtorque the 10mm bolts. 91 was the only year to have a dipstick, fill through the hole on left side of pan, fill till full then start motor then fill till full, drive about 5 miles then check while running in neutral, it should just be running out the hole (yes it's a pain in the ass without a lift)
    Steve
    1989 M3
    1995 525i 5sp
    1993 525iT