GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: How to remove a hamster wheel?

Default How to remove a hamster wheel?

I bought a used blower motor from ebay and it works perfectly except for the fact that whoever removed it originally cracked one of the plastic hamster wheel things. I'd like to use the hamster wheel cage from my old dead motor with this living motor, but I don't know how to remove the wheels to do the swap. Anyone have any ideas? Gale?

Thanks in advance,

BennyM

lift top, remove hamster wheel...

seroiusly looks like a press/glue on situation. maybe you can glue the fan deal that came with the new fan? guess that you could reef the thing off there and try to put your mint reefed fan on the new one.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

hammer and brass drift while someone holds the cage works best for me, if you mushroom the shaft you're screwed
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default I appreciate your help, jeff, but I don't understand.

So the plastic hamster cage wheel thing is just glued on there? If I pull up on it, it really feels like it'll break. Can I pound it off or put some solvent in there? Also, please define/explain "reef" and "reefed" Thanks.

BennyM

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    lift top, remove hamster wheel...

seroiusly looks like a press/glue on situation. maybe you can glue the fan deal that came with the new fan? guess that you could reef the thing off there and try to put your mint reefed fan on the new one.

apply said hammer to said drift then apply that to said shaft that you should not mushroom while someone holds the hamster wheel, the motor/shaft and other hamster wheel drops to the floor with successful applcation of hammer/drift combo

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    hammer and brass drift while someone holds the cage works best for me, if you mushroom the shaft you're screwed
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Blower cage puller

I was going to machine a custom puller with 2 half-clamps under the center hub and all-thread & a plate with a bolt on the shaft but decided it was too much work & blew it off:

As you are well aware, these cages are extremely frail. The cages on the older e28 blowers are more stout & you can cantilever a piece of plywood with a slot in it, c-clamped to a benchtop, & tap the center shaft thru with a drift punch. If you heat the cage with a hair drier, the plastic will soften & expand slightly & will slide off easier.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Default yeah, coulda used one a those.

Cool graphic. Is that from a CAD program that you use?

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I was going to machine a custom puller with 2 half-clamps under the center hub and all-thread & a plate with a bolt on the shaft but decided it was too much work & blew it off:

As you are well aware, these cages are extremely frail. The cages on the older e28 blowers are more stout & you can cantilever a piece of plywood with a slot in it, c-clamped to a benchtop, & tap the center shaft thru with a drift punch. If you heat the cage with a hair drier, the plastic will soften & expand slightly & will slide off easier.

OK guys, I got it. Done and done. The cage from the old motor slipped off alright after some work with a hammer and a chunk of metal. The broken cage from the new motor was the difficult one. I ended up cutting through it to loosen it. Now I have air again. Woo hoo! Thanks for all your help.

I did, however, notice that the air does not flow into the cabin as strongly as I expected it to. I would assume that this is because I haven't changed the pollen filter in a couple years. ....Or it's just my sleep deprived mind messing with me.

Well, I'm off to the north woods and a week of camping. Later.

BennyM