GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone care to take a gander at this gear oil.....

Default anyone care to take a gander at this gear oil.....

as i am not an old tymer like most of you, hence i don't know what used oil from a differential is supposed to look like (only down with the f dubya dee's before the e34). it had quite a bit of foam on the top when first drained, which subsided to a little bit after settling for an hour. it smells like coffee grinds/.old burnt coffee. ill have to wait till after i drain the bucket to see if the level was low, as i didn't establish any volume measuring metric before i drained the differential. tia.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I have no clue, but I suddenly feel like changing my differential oil now...

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

it's only a problem when it's silver that looks varly normal for old fluid
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

i wanna change it again too, its just that there's no way in hell i'm squeezing that much 75w fluid through a hose again, my hands still hurt from doing it. every time i stuck the hose into the case, it would come out a nasty brown color. i guess i could stagger it 1 bottle at a time, for the next two oil changes.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanS
    I have no clue, but I suddenly feel like changing my differential oil now...
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

go to a boat supply place and fork over a whole $5 for one of those lower unit pumps, it looks like a pump on a bottle of hand cleaner, if you have a dipstick less tranny you can use it there too, also on manual trannys. i am on the same one i got a few years ago
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

i bought a marine pump, i use it to change power steering fluid, brake fluid, et cetera....i just can't find it now, despite having brought it from orlando expressly to change this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    go to a boat supply place and fork over a whole $5 for one of those lower unit pumps, it looks like a pump on a bottle of hand cleaner, if you have a dipstick less tranny you can use it there too, also on manual trannys. i am on the same one i got a few years ago

Default Advance Auto sells a gear oil pump that ...

fits right on the bottle for ~$6.00. Plus it works great for changing ATF

Messerschmitt

that rear end dope looks fine, if there is a lot of metal settled at the bottom you may have problems.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I just changed the gear oil in the Vo (volvo 240, 175,000), and it looked pretty black and smelled bad just like that. I can't imagine doing it without that hand pump that I bought for a whole $5. When I did mommie's Jeep (at 66,000), the stuff was barely used, it looked just like the new oil I put in.
    There were a bit more metal shavings on the magnet, but, then again, the gears are also a lot bigger.

I have no idea if the gear oil in the diff was ever changed in the volvo, or if I did it for the first time, but I do know that it hasnt been changed in the jeep until I did it.

I can also say that having a drain plug makes it SOOO much easier than taking off the back panel. I have a picture I took somehwere of the cover, and unknowingly had the reflection of our flag (it was july 4th weekend) in the background. Looks way cool.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Hey, speaking of gear oil and the marine lower pump for fluid exchanges, I've got a question.

In the lower unit of my Merc outboard, I've always run a green high-grade gear oil that's 75-90W if I remember correctly. Any reason not to use the same stuff in any of my land based autos, trucks, motocycles? It doesn't seem to burn or discolor the way I've seen Mobil, Valvoline and others....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast