GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: When rebuilding a E34 front end.....

Default When rebuilding a E34 front end.....

When replacing the thrust arms with 750 bushings, lower control arms and outer tie rod ends. Do need to replace the center tie rod/center link. The part illustrated below. Do this things were out? or should the bushings on the unit merely be replaced?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

And should ldler arms associated with this center link be replaced.

It has been 60k since my last frontend event. ( only upper and lower control arms). I am starting to eperience the very moderate 60mph shimmy and I am getting some drifting, but my biggest bitch is the play in the steering wheel.

So my plan of attack is to replace all steering components between the steering box and and the steering arms. is this overkill?

I also will be attempting to perfect the steering box tuneup. I have a used steering box off of a '93 525i low mileage car, but I am to big of pussy to attempt to swap it out. If all the above fails I will be doing the steering box change out. But this will be another post crying for help.

Should i even be consider about swapping the steering boxes, or do these things just live for ever? (mine does not leak)
    JoeS

Default If you're going to do it all then I would definitely replace the center link, its

more ball joints that wear. As far as the idler arm its only one not 2 and you should be able to replace the bushing instead of the whole arm. After replacing all these items you've just about covered it all with the exception of the steering box itself, the ujoint on the steering shaft, the rubber coupling at the top of the steering shaft and the big nut that allows the steering shaft to telescope up and down... Those are the only other things that could cause play in the steering that I am aware of.. or loose wheel bearings...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS
    When replacing the thrust arms with 750 bushings, lower control arms and outer tie rod ends. Do need to replace the center tie rod/center link. The part illustrated below. Do this things were out? or should the bushings on the unit merely be replaced?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

And should ldler arms associated with this center link be replaced.

It has been 60k since my last frontend event. ( only upper and lower control arms). I am starting to eperience the very moderate 60mph shimmy and I am getting some drifting, but my biggest bitch is the play in the steering wheel.

So my plan of attack is to replace all steering components between the steering box and and the steering arms. is this overkill?

I also will be attempting to perfect the steering box tuneup. I have a used steering box off of a '93 525i low mileage car, but I am to big of pussy to attempt to swap it out. If all the above fails I will be doing the steering box change out. But this will be another post crying for help.

Should i even be consider about swapping the steering boxes, or do these things just live for ever? (mine does not leak)