GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Auto Climate Control: Blower only runs at full speed

Default Auto Climate Control: Blower only runs at full speed

In my 1988 M30-530i, fitted with A/C and auto climate control, the blower motor only works when I turn the blower-speed-dial all the way to full-power (when the dial is moved past the "click").

If it's in an intermediate setting, it will work for about 1-3 minutes after starting the (cold) car. Then it will die and afterwards only the max-power setting will work.

Any ideas on how to solve this nasty bug ? (full-power blower makes too much noise for everyday use and A/C is quite cold at full-power ).

Thanks in advance,

Joop,
    The Netherlands

Joop, your "SWORD" is dying...like mine too! >:-(

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Mainte...ical/Sword.htm

It's either a $5 repair (do it yourself) or a $150 part to replace.

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Default Its a bad sword, the slang term for the speed controller that controls blower speed.

Here on Bruno's site you can find some info about repairing or replacing it.
    Your's is going to be the sword type Check here

Sorry Duey, guess i'm a little slow today...

Quote Originally Posted by Black530i
    In my 1988 M30-530i, fitted with A/C and auto climate control, the blower motor only works when I turn the blower-speed-dial all the way to full-power (when the dial is moved past the "click").

If it's in an intermediate setting, it will work for about 1-3 minutes after starting the (cold) car. Then it will die and afterwards only the max-power setting will work.

Any ideas on how to solve this nasty bug ? (full-power blower makes too much noise for everyday use and A/C is quite cold at full-power ).

Thanks in advance,

Joop,
    The Netherlands
    Last edited by Bill R.; 07-24-2004 at 11:45 AM.

Don't worry Bill, I had a second though after I posted and was wondering if Joop might have had the resistor pack.

BTW, Bill...have you done the repair deal to the sword? I'm at the 1-2-3 works most of the time but definitely cuts out after a while. That and the "my car is catching on fire" smell a few days ago... Time to get out the old soldering iron and visit RadioShack, methinks!

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Default Yes i have , thats where most of Bruno's write up came from, and I got

it from someone on the e32 board years ago, but i am definitely not an electronics tech and my repair on my own didn't last long and still didn't function quite like I thought it should so i bought a brand new unit from eurasian for 150... that was a new behr one not rebuilt... but this was a couple of years ago so I'm sure that its more now... Someone with a working knowledge of electronics repair i'm sure could do a better job than i did...

Quote Originally Posted by DueyT

Don't worry Bill, I had a second though after I posted and was wondering if Joop might have had the resistor pack.

BTW, Bill...have you done the repair deal to the sword? I'm at the 1-2-3 works most of the time but definitely cuts out after a while. That and the "my car is catching on fire" smell a few days ago... Time to get out the old soldering iron and visit RadioShack, methinks!

Cheers,
    Duey

Default Thanks for your tips.

Thanks a lot for your tips . I'll check out the sword or resistors.
    Joop