GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: No Fire From 1990 525i Distributor..HELP!!

Default No Fire From 1990 525i Distributor..HELP!!

PLEASE HELP!!! I already installed a new rotor and cap, but still no fire from Distributor. The coil fires fine and there is fire at the distributor side of the coil wire. What else could be causing this? Thanks for any help you can give.

Default A week and a half ago you talked about replacing the distributor, What have you done

so far and how did you determine that you're getting spark at the coil and at the coil wire going to the distributor?

Quote Originally Posted by carolina525
    PLEASE HELP!!! I already installed a new rotor and cap, but still no fire from Distributor. The coil fires fine and there is fire at the distributor side of the coil wire. What else could be causing this? Thanks for any help you can give.

Default pulled the coil wire and held it 1/2 inch away from coil and saw arc..

then I pulled the plug wire from Distributor and put a spare spark plug on it and produced spark there. The I pulled a wire from one of my plugs and attached the same spare spark plug and NO SPARK.

Default Are you sure the rotor is turning? Have you cranked the engine over with the

distributor cap off and watched to see if the rotor turns? Maybe you lost the timing belt... Does it seem to spin over faster than normal?

then I pulled the plug wire from Distributor and put a spare spark plug on it and produced spark there. The I pulled a wire from one of my plugs and attached the same spare spark plug and NO SPARK.

No I have not tried that yet, I will give that a try, but the engine does not seem to spin any faster. When it stopped it was an abrupt stop as well. Would the crank or cam sensor cause the distributor not to fire?

Default No, because you're getting spark at the coil which tells you that the

crank sensor is working and you don't have a cam sensor... the only thing in the path on yours is the dist cap and rotor and if its not turning thats the only logical explanation i can come up with if you did change the cap and rotor already.

No I have not tried that yet, I will give that a try, but the engine does not seem to spin any faster. When it stopped it was an abrupt stop as well. Would the crank or cam sensor cause the distributor not to fire?

ok thanks. I will check the rotor and timing belt.