GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WTB: 14 mm differential oil socket......

Default WTB: 14 mm differential oil socket......

two puncture wounds in my palms (as well as 1/2 can of pb blaster later), i've decided that i can appreciate the efficiency of a single utility diff. socket anybody know where i can buy one? preferrably 1/2 drive. i don't think anybody's touched the rear end oil in this car in 50k miles, its on there sooo tight that my vice grips are ruined i would rather not fab down a allen key, as i'm at my apartment, and have no such means at my disposal. id rather not drive the car on the highway until i change the rear end oil (growling), so i can't get home to get at any (and the cycle repeats).
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

allen key and a hammer didn't work? Using hammer to "impact" the bolt loose? Or, you can do this... get a 2 or 3 footer galvanized pipe that fits the allen key just right... slip it in and allen key and you got a allen socket with a breaker bar equivalence.

the allen key doesn't fit the fill hole unless you grind it down, and using the hex head bolt and vice grips just ruined the vice grips, especially after i put the breaker bar on the twisty part of the vice grips.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

i just called the ger. parts people i usually buy from in orlando, they only have a 17 mm oil socket. ill try bavarian AS now, as their catalogue doesn't list one in 14 mm....

Default Get a allen key and cut it off 1" down...

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    the allen key doesn't fit the fill hole unless you grind it down, and using the hex head bolt and vice grips just ruined the vice grips, especially after i put the breaker bar on the twisty part of the vice grips.
    Maybe you did this already... I just got a big allen key (like 8") and cut off the end, then I had a little stub I could stick in the female end of the diff bolt and turn the other end with a 14mm box end wrench.

You can get a metal-cutting blade for your grinder or circular saw for a few bucks at home depo. Don't have a circular saw, you say? What kind of man doesn't have a circular saw! Go buy one!

- Robin
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

what the hell!???! bavarian doesn't have one either! i figured they would at least one gold plated OEM one for the low low price of 149.99, like all of the other crap that you could get from bma for 10 or 15 dollars. robin, i have a circular saw about 100 miles away, it don't get much use in an apartment setting, so i don't happen to have it with me i guess it wouldn't kill me to drive another 300 miles on it, i just don't like having it make the noises its making now.

Ryan,
    I know you probably thought of this but you'll want to take the "fill" plug out first, especially if they are that tight. You don't want to get the drain plug out, empty the diff. case then not be able to get the fill plug out! This was definately a "bloody knuckle" job for me as the allen wrench with the pipe over it finally "gave" after wacking on the pipe. As soon as it "gave" it was quite easy to get out. Good luck!

I have a 14mm allen with 1/2" drive I think... but that socket is very long... the tool is like almost 2.5" long... Find someone with a sawzall and cut that key down shorter if that is what you need.

Sounds like you didn't get a 14mm allen key... maybe SAE.

There's a Mercedes oil service tool that might work, but it's not real cheap. Look for HZ 2760 at the following site:

http://www.samstagsales.com/mercedes.htm

Haven't done the diff oil myself yet so I can't say for sure.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast