GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: clunking noise?

Default clunking noise?

My car makes a loud clunking noise whenever i let of the brakes really fast and at other various times. What could this be? Suspension? brakes?

Default My guess would be suspension...

Quote Originally Posted by casurfer911
    My car makes a loud clunking noise whenever i let of the brakes really fast and at other various times. What could this be? Suspension? brakes?
    I don't think the calipers or pads get loose typically on E34s.

If it's from the rear, suspect the subframe bushings (fat ones, like 1/2 size beer cans) or upper shock mounts. If it's from the front, could be strut retainer coller nut or maybe (maybe) sway links. What have you replaced on your suspension to date?

Robin
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

i just bought the car a month ago and i think all of the suspension is still stock, i want to lower it eventually, but i think the rims might have to be the first thing to go

my money is on the front thrust arm bushings, when they are broken the wheel is free to bang around and when under braking load is forced to the rear of it's travel and when you release the wheel bangs forward, 2nd guess would be the front sway bar links, 3rd front strut inserts are loose/real worn out

Quote Originally Posted by casurfer911
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    my money is on the front thrust arm bushings, when they are broken the wheel is free to bang around and when under braking load is forced to the rear of it's travel and when you release the wheel bangs forward, 2nd guess would be the front sway bar links, 3rd front strut inserts are loose/real worn out
    winfred i think your first choice is definately right, that sounds like what is happening and i think i hear the noise under any hard change in speed, it is just most noticeable when braking. I went to bmwe34.net and looked up their how-to and i've got the other symptoms too. Thank you for your help
    Last edited by casurfer911; 07-21-2004 at 02:48 AM.