GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3000+ Mile trip on friday....

Default 3000+ Mile trip on friday....

I'm going to be leaving for a 3000+ mile trip this friday and was wondering if there were some SUPER obvious things I should do to prepare/bring along (minus what I've already thought of)

I just changed radiator and hoses (all seems to be well so far), but I'm going to bring along what I have left of BMW coolant, and distilled water.

I'm going to change the oil wednesday with some of that mobile 1 0w40 i keep hearing about. What kind of filter should I use???

Bringing a toolkit with sockets and stuff, and probably a jackstand.....

I'll be checking your basic tire pressure, got a AAA member along for the ride....

I just don't want to be in the middle of north dakota broke down wishing I had brought something else.

biggest question, what kind replacement oil filter should I use, and where to buy the oil??
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

what i'd do if i were you (is it 3k round trip or one way).....i'd be more prepared if it is one way.

unbolt and bolt all 4 of your wheels (stud after stud is fine). why, you ask? its much easier to deal with a stubborn stud in your driveway than it is on the side of the road, on the flat tire you have to deal with. if one is sticky, you can put some pb blaster into the hole and turn the studs in by hand until they roll in and out smoothly.

as far as parts

if your belt is ok, i'd still buy one and keep it in the trunk. if you end up not needing it, you can always return it to the store.

i'd pack at LEAST the four basic fuses used in your car, the 7.5, 10, 15 and 30 amp fuse. these may not cause your car to break catastrophically, but i'm sure you will appreciate being able to restore your a/c operation when the ambient temp outside is 95 F.

i'd screw bringing along distilled water and antifreeze and bring at least 2 gallons of tap water. if you run out of water, it won't matter if its antifreeze or distilled or not.

1 quart of oil for top up, especially if its a 3k mile one way trip. it will likely be cheaper to buy it with oil change supplies than it will be to buy it from a gas station in the middle of nowhere.

a can of pb blaster (for breakin the lock on stuck crap)

a hose bandage if you want (its about 9 dollars from lowes)

a headlight bulb (up to you)

screwdrivers and wrenches and such

flashlight
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJCaputo
    I'm going to be leaving for a 3000+ mile trip this friday and was wondering if there were some SUPER obvious things I should do to prepare/bring along (minus what I've already thought of)

I just changed radiator and hoses (all seems to be well so far), but I'm going to bring along what I have left of BMW coolant, and distilled water.

I'm going to change the oil wednesday with some of that mobile 1 0w40 i keep hearing about. What kind of filter should I use???

I'll be checking your basic tire pressure, got a AAA member along for the ride....

I just don't want to be in the middle of north dakota broke down wishing I had brought something else.

biggest question, what kind replacement oil filter should I use, and where to buy the oil??
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Also - for the box--

some latex gloves and/or hand cleaner, water, paper towels, various tools of your selection, jumper cables, and, of course,

toilet paper!
    --Micah O'C
    '17 M2 6MT, Mineral Grey
    '04 330i ZHP
    '88 M5 2791445
    '92 M5T BL01001
    formerly '90 535iM, '92 525iT

Washer fluid, lots of bugs on the freeway. And let us not forget basic nutritional needs - Beer and pork rinds.

forgot to say.....check your battery water level before you go. THAT requires distilled water.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default I'm planning SF to Denver round trip 10/04 and...

planning to do my fuel pump before the trip. I've got 177K, though. If your water pump and T-stat have more than 60K, you might want to replace or at least carry spares.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJCaputo

some 2x4 blocks, maybe a small sheet of plywood on the bottom of your trunk for uneven or soft shoulder jacking. old bedspread or serape to crawl under your car on. Any part that you think will break, have in the trunk. gaskets, belts, t-stat, water pump, fan clutch, brake light switch, fuses, bulbs..rechargeable trouble light, 25' power cord, test light, sacrificial poncho.

blue paper towels, hand cleaner, maybe a jumpsuit, road flares, road triangles (with weights to keep from blowing over or away) check that your AAA card is up to date.

Maybe post your itinerary here, so some can give some repair shop locations.

Like in my trip to Marfa, it's helpful to know there's a shop in Van Horn or Ozona that understands e34's overheating issues (I-10 @ 110'F)...gives you some clue to turn around or drive ahead for repairs.

Cell phone? Fix-a-flat for emergency inflation.

fergot something important. if your alternator or voltage regulator hasn't been replaced recently, i (personal feelings) would either check it myself, or have somebody check the length of your alternator brushes. i think this is part of the inspection II (iirc), so if you've had one done at the dealership, you are likely ok. the 50 or 60 that bma will charge you to overnight a new bosch unit will likely be far less than any shop in BFE will charge you to get you back on the road again, and you won't have to endure the headache of dealing with a dead alternator on your trip.

You can actually get most e34 filters at AutoParts Stores- just call ahead and make sure them have one in stock. It'll be Percolator, but the quality is actually the same as Bosch/Mahle filters that BMA would sell you. I bought one, and it's fine.

They sell oil there too. I would bring:

1 case (6 quarts) motor oil.
    1 gallon water
    1 towel
    Duct tape
    Tire pump (you can get 12v powered ones, very nice and very small)
    More duct tape

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast