GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Car overheated and losing coolant. Please help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Car overheated and losing coolant. Please help

Hi to everyone,

last night, car lost all its coolant and oveheated to 3/4 mark with my dad. I went on the spot where it broke down and there no coolant at all from the coolant tank. Check belt and radiator hose, everything fine. Started putting water and it filled up but water was coming out of the secondary water pump next to the heater control valve. Is it normal that this pump has a hole in it?

How can I get the car to the garage by bypassing that pump cause the car lost part of its cooalnt a few miles after the refill.

I am quite sure that the dealer dont have this pump in stock and will take four to five days to get it from germany.

If only I could bypass the pump and then bring the car to garage.

Please help.

Kentish
    540iA 1994

you just have to find a radiator hose fitting to connect around the heater control valve, entirely doable if you can determine the size of the hoses going in and coming out on your application. winfred sez that the aux
    water pump plastic often dies, iirc. you can drive with it bypassed, you just won't have any heat while you do

s dt
    Quote Originally Posted by kentish
    Hi to everyone,

last night, car lost all its coolant and oveheated to 3/4 mark with my dad. I went on the spot where it broke down and there no coolant at all from the coolant tank. Check belt and radiator hose, everything fine. Started putting water and it filled up but water was coming out of the secondary water pump next to the heater control valve. Is it normal that this pump has a hole in it?

How can I get the car to the garage by bypassing that pump cause the car lost part of its cooalnt a few miles after the refill.

I am quite sure that the dealer dont have this pump in stock and will take four to five days to get it from germany.

If only I could bypass the pump and then bring the car to garage.

Please help.

Kentish
    540iA 1994
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I used my car for a long time with a dysfunctional aux water pump, never lost heat. I think it's main purpose is for heat while the engine has been idleing for a long time, or when it's off and on heat-timer, and possibly during warm-up to get heat faster.