GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: anyone know how much these repairs will cost?

jeff540i Guest

Default anyone know how much these repairs will cost?

I have a 1994 540i. The AC recently died (I think its the compressor becasse it was making noises about a week before it broke). The horn died suddenly and one of the low beams burned out. Fortunately the auto tranny still works, but I'm wondering how much that could run. Does anyone know how much each of these items will cost to replace? parts/labor? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff540i
    I have a 1994 540i. The AC recently died (I think its the compressor becasse it was making noises about a week before it broke). The horn died suddenly and one of the low beams burned out. Fortunately the auto tranny still works, but I'm wondering how much that could run. Does anyone know how much each of these items will cost to replace? parts/labor? Thanks.
    The AC is expensive. Not sure how much a new compressor is. The horn is probably a relay failed or fuse, shouldn't be too hard to diagnose your self. The headlight "burning out" is probably a headlight bulb, but in the event that you've checked that already and replaced, it could be the LKM desoldering. In that case, Bruno's site has a repair guide on that. The auto trans is a likely fail part due to the nature of it. There have been people who have replaced this with a remanufactured unit, and others who have converted to 6-speed. Honestly, in your car, if your auto slushbox were to fail, I would take a look at doing a 6 speed conversion for probably not all that much more once you factor in a new automatic transmission.

jeff540i Guest

Thanks for the feedback. How much does the conversion to a manual typically run? Is the work normally done by an independent BMW mechanic?

Thanks for the feedback. How much does the conversion to a manual typically run? Is the work normally done by an independent BMW mechanic?
    A knowledgeable independent will be able to do the conversion. You want to ask someone else as my car is already 5 speed, but I know that a new/reman. auto transmission for the 540 can be MEGA bucks, friend around here was quoted $5,000 in parts no labor. Start another thread asking about 540ia -> 540i6 conversion, there are a few M70 owners here who have done it.

kirt koeller's reman 5hp30 costs $2595 plus 700 core

http://www.autosportsunlimited.com/trans.html
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default AC Compressor

I recently got a quote from my indy at $685 for a remanufactured clutch, compressor and new drier. I had the same symptoms you described.
    If you want to do the work yourself and go through the hassle of figuring out whether its just the clutch, the compressor or both, try www.hancockindustries.com. They sell new or reman AC components. Good prices too.
    Independents as well as stealers charge about $75 an hour in the Tampa area.

Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

The a/c clutch and horn are on the same fuse... If the a/c is really broken it will just keep blowing fuses, but try replacing it and see if it goes again.