GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R134a conversion

Bill, thanks for the reply. You're correct in your suspicion that I tap into the wrong line. I was tapped into the small line on top with the sight glass thinking this was the low side. Thanks for the correction. Now do I need to go back to square one or just correct the connections and evacuate the system again before the freon charge. Did I cause any damage to the system?

Thanks again.

Default You don't have to do anything , just reconnect your hoses and finish

charging the system... and thank your lucky stars that the can didn't blow up from the head pressure in the system....

Quote Originally Posted by glen-sj
    Bill, thanks for the reply. You're correct in your suspicion that I tap into the wrong line. I was tapped into the small line on top with the sight glass thinking this was the low side. Thanks for the correction. Now do I need to go back to square one or just correct the connections and evacuate the system again before the freon charge. Did I cause any damage to the system?

Thanks again.

Default Is a switch replacement needed for conversion?

Bill
    I have my new drier and compressor ready to go in because of the clutch ate up the end of the compressor. I figure it is a good time to convert. Anyway, I have everthing ready to go in, but I re-read the e34.net procedure and it say to replace the switch. Why replace the switch? Oh yes, and do you recommend ester or PAG?
    Thanks
    RickyJ

Default Here's BMW's explanation of the changes

I usually use ester.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ
    Bill
    I have my new drier and compressor ready to go in because of the clutch ate up the end of the compressor. I figure it is a good time to convert. Anyway, I have everthing ready to go in, but I re-read the e34.net procedure and it say to replace the switch. Why replace the switch? Oh yes, and do you recommend ester or PAG?
    Thanks
    RickyJ

Default Thanks Bill

Unlike your situation my compressor locked up and wanted to make sure I didn't have problems so replaced entire system with BMW components........and it blows cold. The thing you may want to do is buy BMW's retrofit kit that includes new drier, pressure switches and retro fittings. Cost you about $140.00 but worth it.
    Callen 91 535i 94 530i 89 735il

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12