GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: idle problems (again)

Default idle problems (again)

as you may recall, last time i had idle problems was after replacing the distributer cap but not rotor, so i replaced that and reset the car's computer for safe measure... idled great...

now onto the next problem, just did a valve adjustment, had to replace the breather hose (hose going from the throttle body to valve cover) as it had torn when removing from the valve cover... then ran the engine at idle just as a test after the adjustment, idled great at 600rpm, ran engine at 1000-1500rpm, ran great, ticking very low... then comes today, went to get gas, idled great at first... however it wasnt until i got into the higher rpm's that the car consistently began to die on me everytime it went to idle... kept on doing this seemingly forever as i tried my best to either heel-toe and keep idle at a steady place or not idle at all... ran the engine at 1000rpm when in neutral, ran the engine at higher rpm's again... but would still die, only time it wouldn't die is if i ran idle right after ignition and let it run for a little bit (which even then, the opposite occured at the gas station as i was attempting to leave, in which the engine would die right after ignition)

I had a similar problem in which the car would idle irratically but would drive if i was giving it gas but if i took it out of gear and let off the gas it would die. I had just replaced fuel lines on the car and I went trying to find out what the hell i did. I accidently hit a vacuum hose that enters the air ducting between the MAF and throttle body, but thats on my M50, im guessing you have a M20 or M30 because of the distributor, but check all of your vacuum lines, and make sure no air is entering the intake between the air sensor and the engine, causes a false reading in the ecu. Hope this helps.

checked all the air-intake hoses... and what a discovery! a hose clamp on the hose that goes from the main air hose to the air flow sensor was completely loose and it didnt take much to get the hose off... couldnt get the clamp back in place, so i used a screw-clamp i had laying around... turned on the car, some erratic idle at first... but then it levelled off... drove it around, no idle dying problems...