GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Looking to add '98 318i to the stable, thoughts???

Default Looking to add '98 318i to the stable, thoughts???

One of my coworkers is looking to sell his wife's car. When she moved to town she bought a '98 white four door 318i auto new from the dealer. Upgraded the wheels to the real spoke variety, added a sunroof, cd changer, ... however, does have the vinyl seats (leatherette or whatever) and cruise control. The car has been her commuter car since she bought it, the car has about 72k in miles and they think they want to sell it for around $10.5k. My motivation for considering the car is really about mileage. I average about 3000mi/month and the e34 only averages about 16mpg (surface streets most of the way.)

They have done all of the service work at the stealer, and it seems to run okay. Power is good for a ~1.9L auto, and other than a slight hum that appears when you are sitting at a stop with the car in gear and your foot on the brake everything is fine.

I'm curious if anyone on the board has any experience with this variety of e36, and what your recommendations would be whether it would be for this car or something else... Obviously I am not running out to buy a new anything, price plays a part in the decision.

It has been a while since I posted to the board, but I always return because you guys always help me out.

Thanks.

I like E-36's...think they are good cars but if going with the four cylinder would prefer a stick. The clincher for me in the case of the car you are considering is I would never buy a BMW with an aftermarket sunroof period.
    Best of Luck what ever you decide.
    George

Default My mistake, everything I mentioned is factory.

She had the opportunity to order the car from the dealer. Everything in it/on it is BMW spec. The sunroof is BMW, I am with you, in that I would never consider any car that has an aftermarket sunroof. I am swayed against the car because of the automatic, other than that the car seems appealing. However, I must confess that part of me is not resolved to the idea of having an underpowered 4 cyl, when there are a number of 325 and M3 e36s on the market.

Default It's a car I would want my mother or sister or daughter to have this car

. . . but I wouldn't wish it on my brother. If you like power, choose a 325 (auto or stick, though I would insist on stick). Still excellent economy but much more fun when you feel a need for speed.

I think I know what you mean--you found a good chance at a real nice car, but it's not really one you need. Unless you think you could turn it over and make a little money (a dicey prospect with BMWs unless you really know what you're doing and the seller perhaps does not).

I would buy this for a child who needed a nice safe car, but not for myself. Unless you only want to drive it when you feel a little lame! Maybe to and from workin' for the man, etc.

Anything else in your stable/is your 530 auto or stick?

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert 530i
    However, I must confess that part of me is not resolved to the idea of having an underpowered 4 cyl, when there are a number of 325 and M3 e36s on the market.

may i suggest for a cheep comuter car a e30, mainly a 89-90-91 325i i beat the hell outta mine and get 23 mpg on my town/road mixed driving week, and i can better 30 on the road. you can find a nice one bullet proof it and still have a fair amount of money saved over a e36, and have a car that has a lot less annoying crap to suck your wallet dry. i have a buddy that drives a 89 325ism around 50k miles a year for his job
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default I drive a manual 530i...

I couldn't let my self drive an automatic, and I still don't really want them. You nailed the issue on the head, it seems like a good deal, maybe one I shouldn't pass up. However, after everyone's advice, I think that I would much rather find a nice 325 or 328 that is stick, something with good mileage for commuting and still something I can enjoy and be proud of as well.

Thanks for the great advice,

Robert

Default Go with 325 or 328 instead.

One of my friends had 1996 318is and it was a nice little car. I was surprised how peppy the engine was. I think it was faster than my 1995 525i. Still, I don’t think I could ever purchase 4-cyl car, especially with an automatic. I think you should look for 325 or 328; my friend who had the 318is regretted in getting the small engine after several months. And yes, “had”. He no longer has it anymore.
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

i'm going to be the lone dissenting voice here....if you want a 3 series, i'd say to try the 325 on for gas mileage, then try the 318 and see how much each gets in stop and go with 100% ac. remember, the 325 is still a 3,000 lb car with a 6 cylinder engine, there isn't much that you can realistically expect to eeke out as far as mpg. i've been lookin at 318s 4 drs for craps and giggles, and i'd say to test drive a manual '18 and see if you like it tons better than the automatic. the epa ratings for both the 318 and 325 cars are similar, buuuttt in the real world, i'd think that the 18 would come out better if you wanted the BMW driving characteristics with decent fuel mileage.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."