GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: '90 525 power loss (windows, power locks, radio, trip computer, seats)

Default '90 525 power loss (windows, power locks, radio, trip computer, seats)

I have some how managed to loose power to my windows, power locks, radio, trip computer, seats. it just seemed to "go out" while on my way home. I checked the fuse box and everything seems ok in there... the problem is that is it not totally dead, every so often they will get power to them and work fine, then just as they came on, a few mins later they will shut off again.

I did some testing and found that if i start my car (not just accessory power) and flip on my lights sometimes it will fire up my computer and i will get the time etc, radio will work etc. then, of course, they all go out.

To the point, anyone out there see this happen before? Is there something i could check that would effect the power for these systems? Any thoughts or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated... my poor baby does not feel too hot right now :P

EDIT: More research done, could this be the Fusible link after the battery?
    Last edited by tyrannyPBE; 07-10-2004 at 04:43 PM.

Default Yes, this is the classic symptom of a bad fusible link

Quote Originally Posted by tyrannyPBE
    I have some how managed to loose power to my windows, power locks, radio, trip computer, seats. it just seemed to "go out" while on my way home. I checked the fuse box and everything seems ok in there... the problem is that is it not totally dead, every so often they will get power to them and work fine, then just as they came on, a few mins later they will shut off again.

I did some testing and found that if i start my car (not just accessory power) and flip on my lights sometimes it will fire up my computer and i will get the time etc, radio will work etc. then, of course, they all go out.

To the point, anyone out there see this happen before? Is there something i could check that would effect the power for these systems? Any thoughts or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated... my poor baby does not feel too hot right now :P

EDIT: More research done, could this be the Fusible link after the battery?

Indeed it was, i inspected that and saw the crack in it, now finding the replacement!

well... that was simple enough, and i found this forum in the process as well, so not such a bad thing afterall

Default Yes, this is a wonderful forum - I discovered it too late!

A few years ago I had a fusible link go bad on one of my 1991 525i's. I was a BMW newbie and didn't know about this forum (actually, this forum wasn't established yet, but it's predecessor was). I panicked and took my car to a BMW dealer. They spent 6 hours trying to find the problem, so they say, and charged me over $300. The fusible link costs only a few dollars and takes about 10 minutes to replace, but I didn't know that then. I have never been back to the dealer since.

Welcome to this great place of information.

Dick Schneiders (2, 1991 525i's)

Quote Originally Posted by tyrannyPBE
    Indeed it was, i inspected that and saw the crack in it, now finding the replacement!

well... that was simple enough, and i found this forum in the process as well, so not such a bad thing afterall

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders
    A few years ago I had a fusible link go bad on one of my 1991 525i's. I was a BMW newbie and didn't know about this forum (actually, this forum wasn't established yet, but it's predecessor was). I panicked and took my car to a BMW dealer. They spent 6 hours trying to find the problem, so they say, and charged me over $300. The fusible link costs only a few dollars and takes about 10 minutes to replace, but I didn't know that then. I have never been back to the dealer since.

Welcome to this great place of information.

Dick Schneiders (2, 1991 525i's)
    The fusible link was the first problem I had with my car shortly after I bought it last year which also led me to this website. Thank God. When I went to the dealer to buy a fusible link they acted like they NEVER heard of such a thing. 89 cents and all was well again.
    Last edited by KenB; 03-05-2006 at 05:53 PM.

Default Yes, it is a crime the way most dealerships treat the fusible link situation

It is a very common problem, so they have to know about it. Since it only costs a buck or so and takes just a few minutes to replace, they ought to do it for virtually nothing. In my case they claimed that they had to test and trace the entire electrical system before they found the problem. They told me what the problem was, but I didn't have a clue what that was. It was even more frustrating since I had to drive 90 miles to the dealer and spend all day there waiting for the car to be repaired. After I got home and looked at the $300 bill and discovered that the part was so cheap, I did some research and discovered that it was a *very* simple fix. I felt as if I was cheated, as no dealership could be so incompetent.

Dick Schneiders

Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    The fusible link was the first problem I had with my car shortly after I bought it last year which also led me to this website. Thank God. When I went to the dealer to buy a fusible link they acted like they NEVER heard of such a thing. 89 cents and all was well again.

sometimes my rear windows dont move and sometimes they do. theyre both either working or not working. its not the switches cause when when its not working, neither switch does anything (front switch and door swithes). could this be the fusible link? also my driver seat doesnt move ever so often..

Quote Originally Posted by Phil M
    sometimes my rear windows dont move and sometimes they do. theyre both either working or not working. its not the switches cause when when its not working, neither switch does anything (front switch and door swithes). could this be the fusible link? also my driver seat doesnt move ever so often..

The symptoms of a bad fusible link seem to be somewhat different with every case I've read. Sometimes it involves the radio although it didn't in my case. mine was interior lights and remote entry - door locks. If ANY electric accessories are acting weird, replace the fusible link first, even if it doesn't look bad, it's the cheapest and easiest, then if that doesn't fix it, go further into it.

Default Usually more than one item is affected, but I would do what Ken

suggests. Replace the fusible link and see. Sometimes you can't see the crack, easily, just by looking at it. It is so cheap and easy to replace, I would eliminate that first.

Dick Schneiders

Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    The symptoms of a bad fusible link seem to be somewhat different with every case I've read. Sometimes it involves the radio although it didn't in my case. mine was interior lights and remote entry - door locks. If ANY electric accessories are acting weird, replace the fusible link first, even if it doesn't look bad, it's the cheapest and easiest, then if that doesn't fix it, go further into it.