GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Nooooooo!! Fried M5T Nooooo!! (*Sobs*)

Default Nooooooo!! Fried M5T Nooooo!! (*Sobs*)

I do not believe this.

I just do not believe this.

Last night at 5:30 I call BMS and discuss the status on M5 Touring; All is finished up, and the only thing of note is a speaker pop when the car is turned off is the head unit is on. Sounds familiar, so I go off to research the problem to see if there is a problem with the wiring that can get fixed and call them back before they have to leave at 6pm.

Yup, negative spike bug on some of the rio car units. Needs a diode inline on one of the wires. not a big deal.

I call back at 5:50pm.

My M5 Touring is dead. Wayne took it over to the gas station to fill up the tank and as he pulled back into their parking lot it died...

Melted coils and wires.

Postmortum this morning: The rubber grommit that guides the coil wires through the valve cover was a PITA to reinstall correctly after the inspection service, probably due to age and shrinkage & heat. It wasn't good enough. One of the coil wires was able to get close enough to the corner on a fast turn or something to touch or arc.

2 Coils melted
    Wiring Harness toased.
    ECU -- possibley fried -- won't know until other parts fixed

Coils - in stock in the USA
    Wiring harness - ordered from Germany, arrive in a week.
    ECU - if needed - probably order from Germany

BMS will eat the costs of course and repair.

I dont really fault Wayne. Stuff like this happens every so often.

But still. Why couldn't it have been some $2.95 part they had on the shelf?

When will it be over?

(Head slumps down)

(sighs)

(Rhythmic thumping sound of head beating on desk)
    -Matt P
    '99 540iT

That sucks...but it's a heckuva lot better than it getting wrapped around a tree or something!
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Matt P
    I do not believe this.

I just do not believe this.

Last night at 5:30 I call BMS and discuss the status on M5 Touring; All is finished up, and the only thing of note is a speaker pop when the car is turned off is the head unit is on. Sounds familiar, so I go off to research the problem to see if there is a problem with the wiring that can get fixed and call them back before they have to leave at 6pm.

Yup, negative spike bug on some of the rio car units. Needs a diode inline on one of the wires. not a big deal.

I call back at 5:50pm.

My M5 Touring is dead. Wayne took it over to the gas station to fill up the tank and as he pulled back into their parking lot it died...

Melted coils and wires.

Postmortum this morning: The rubber grommit that guides the coil wires through the valve cover was a PITA to reinstall correctly after the inspection service, probably due to age and shrinkage & heat. It wasn't good enough. One of the coil wires was able to get close enough to the corner on a fast turn or something to touch or arc.

2 Coils melted
    Wiring Harness toased.
    ECU -- possibley fried -- won't know until other parts fixed

Coils - in stock in the USA
    Wiring harness - ordered from Germany, arrive in a week.
    ECU - if needed - probably order from Germany

BMS will eat the costs of course and repair.

I dont really fault Wayne. Stuff like this happens every so often.

But still. Why couldn't it have been some $2.95 part they had on the shelf?

When will it be over?

(Head slumps down)

(sighs)

(Rhythmic thumping sound of head beating on desk)
    I have been anticipating your pics and excitement upon receipt of this car. I FEEL YOUR PAIN.

Good luck, you've hung with this so long, keep hanging, it's going to work out.

yes could have been worse but wow, doesnt seem to be getting any smoother for you there.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

True - also a lot better than it happening to you tonight, on the way home, moments after you pull out of the lot!

Soon enough - "We will sell no wine before it's time...."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    That sucks...but it's a heckuva lot better than it getting wrapped around a tree or something!
    --Micah O'C
    '17 M2 6MT, Mineral Grey
    '04 330i ZHP
    '88 M5 2791445
    '92 M5T BL01001
    formerly '90 535iM, '92 525iT

So sorry Matt.

I had the similar scare with an r&r alternator job that shorted out on the way home frying an alternator, cables and battery, not to mention a small electrical fire

We'll wait with you, that you can be sure.

I have the same negative pop and a little engine whine also from my stereo upgrade. My indy has diode'd all the suspect wires but could not eliminate it completely due to me keeping the oem head unit. He said that when I go for a new head unit it will go away, but I think this is not an uncommon issue.

Here's my upgrade
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...hlight=upgrade

I love the subwoofer addition and the fact that it's plug and play and self amplified.

Hope your M5T makes it to austin one day, geoff

So is your subwoofer behind the rear seats?

Looks like it would get in the way of putting the seats down and hauling stuff.

I wanted to add an Inifinity Basslink, but there was not room for it in the side compartment.
    -Matt P
    '99 540iT

Quote Originally Posted by Matt P
    So is your subwoofer behind the rear seats?

Looks like it would get in the way of putting the seats down and hauling stuff.

I wanted to add an Inifinity Basslink, but there was not room for it in the side compartment.
    I wanted to put 6" subs in the sides also. This is the best alternative, a self amp'd sub on a quick connect.

I just unclip it and leave it at home. I have also on a short trip to pick up a big boy bed for the 2 y/o, just unstrapped it and let it sit in the seat well by a rear passenger door. MY main reasoning was to dedicate bass to it's own speaker. I've been known to let Phil Lesh blow up a speaker or two. That won't happen with this set up.