GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: A slipping clutch, or??

Default A slipping clutch, or??

I've now had my car 6 years -- since 48k miles -- and it now has 110k of 75% city driving. On a lot of mornings, the first mile or so, I notice a "lag" in acceleration after shifting to 2nd.

It's as if some Star Trek tractor beam is holding back the car from continuing to accelerate -- it happens generally on uphill slopes and the revs don't jump at all.

Is my clutch disc or pressure plate going? If so, what all should I do while in there?

Thanks!
    ...Bill

If the revs don't go up, it's not the clutch slipping. Well, I should say if the revs stay the same and the car isn't slowing down, then it's not the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Project
    If the revs don't go up, it's not the clutch slipping. Well, I should say if the revs stay the same and the car isn't slowing down, then it's not the clutch.
    Thanks Mr. Project.
    The revs stay the same, but the car lags in acceleration... it starts to lag, and if I give it a little more gas, it starts to accelerate again. I swear, it feels just like something is holding it back from behind, then they let go! BTW, I had Insp II done last Dec and other than this, it runs like a top.
    ...Bill

By "lags", do you mean it stops accelerating and just maintains a constant speed? Or that it actually slows down? If it just 'plateaus' at a certain speed, that's not a clutch issue, but some kind of engine issue.

If the speed of the car is changing but the RPMs are the same, then maybe it's a clutch issue.

By "lags", do you mean it stops accelerating and just maintains a constant speed? Or that it actually slows down? If it just 'plateaus' at a certain speed, that's not a clutch issue, but some kind of engine issue.

If the speed of the car is changing but the RPMs are the same, then maybe it's a clutch issue.
    It maintains a constant speed... all of a sudden it simply does not continue to accelerate gradually -- the revs stay constant but the MPH don't move, as they should. If I punch the gas a wee bit more, it starts to pick up MPH again and the revs smoothly move up again.

I'm coming here, after lurking a long time, because my wrench expert is stuck too! A vacuum leak... somewhere... maybe???
    ...Bill

Yeah, it sure sounds like an engine issue rather than the clutch.

Vacuum leak? Maybe...have you ever replaced any of your coils? The M50 is kinda hard on those, I wonder if you're misfiring at that moment.

Yeah, it sure sounds like an engine issue rather than the clutch.

Vacuum leak? Maybe...have you ever replaced any of your coils? The M50 is kinda hard on those, I wonder if you're misfiring at that moment.
    Thanks... been on the road!

Coils? Now there's a lead. No, I have not done any. I have Bentley's. Is it a difficult/expensive job (I see nothing @ Bruno's site)?
    ...Bill