GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 4 pads, 4 rotors = $??

Default 4 pads, 4 rotors = $??

hi guys, how much should this cost me for a 92 525i? i'm changing all 4 pads and rotors. any recommendations of where to go? how easy is it to do myself? thanks a bunch!

Call BMA. Spend some time thinking about what is important to you when it comes to brakes, however...

Dust?
    Cost?
    Street performance?
    Track driving?
    Squeeking?

You'll also need more than 4 pads.

Give Carbotech Bobcats a shot:
    http://www.carbotecheng.com/appguide...mw-5series.htm

- Extremely low dusting on the street
    - Excellent cold stopping, perhaps as low as 40F!!
    - Fade resistant to at least 900F
    - Very rotor friendly over entire temperature range
    - Very quiet over broad range of line pressure inputs
    - Incredibly firm pedal feel and excellent initial bite.

The front pads and rotos are easy, two bolts each one to take the calipers off to change the rotors. But the back brakes need a special tool that twist the caliper piston as it pushes it in because of the emergency brake cable. The special tool cost about $25, other than that all you need is hex (allen) socket and possible a pressure bar depending on rust, some big set of pliers to expand the caliper in the front and possible a screwdriver to get the pads off. Its not as bad as it sounds, but you might want to take it in the change the back brakes because of the e-brake. The good news is that you don't have to worry about changing shoes in a drum like all the cheap ass american cars.

if the poster lives in the US, autozone will rent you the brake caliper twist tool for a deposit of $35, fully refunded when you return it. which car did you have to use the tool on bjl4776? bentley doesn't show the need for it, d gale doesnt, sean and johan don't..... thought i wouldn't need to rent it. oh well, i guess ill rent it and help my friend do his acura's brakes at the same time, same story like my mom's taurus back brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by bjl4776
    The front pads and rotos are easy, two bolts each one to take the calipers off to change the rotors. But the back brakes need a special tool that twist the caliper piston as it pushes it in because of the emergency brake cable. The special tool cost about $25, other than that all you need is hex (allen) socket and possible a pressure bar depending on rust, some big set of pliers to expand the caliper in the front and possible a screwdriver to get the pads off. Its not as bad as it sounds, but you might want to take it in the change the back brakes because of the e-brake. The good news is that you don't have to worry about changing shoes in a drum like all the cheap ass american cars.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

huh? not on a e34 or older bimmer, parking brake has nothing to do with the caliper on any bimmer i've seen

Quote Originally Posted by bjl4776
    But the back brakes need a special tool that twist the caliper piston as it pushes it in because of the emergency brake cable. .
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default just like the fronts right?

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    huh? not on a e34 or older bimmer, parking brake has nothing to do with the caliper on any bimmer i've seen
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I did it just in case, didn't have the bently on it when i did it and it didn't hurt anything, i had the tool handy so it wasn't a big deal. I've been changin alot of cars that has had to twist because of the e-brake so i figured these were so same, but i guess i should of figured that the e34 would be a tad different the the domestics

Right, nothing special