GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 0 - 60 mph in 5 secs

-Joes Guest

Default 0 - 60 mph in 5 secs

After reading RICKMs post about the new and upcoming V-10 M5, I was curious to see what speed my ride( 535im) could achieve in 5 seconds. I praticed my counting to 5 accuracy several times and then made a few dead stop trails on the way home from work. At the 5 second mark, i just had been able to begin accelerating in 3rd gear at just over 50 mph. So the question to my self is: is approx 10 mph in 1 second worth an extra $75K. I will think it over in the next coming year.

Nicely pondered Joe!
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    Nicely pondered Joe!
    And I bet a lot of folks who read this board would like to know how you have your 535 sorted so that it goes from 0-60 in 6 seconds? Or even 7?

joes,
    0-60 is only about 5% of a car's worth
    the other 95% is what u pay 75 large for =]
    heheheh

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by G Feller
    And I bet a lot of folks who read this board would like to know how you have your 535 sorted so that it goes from 0-60 in 6 seconds? Or even 7?
    I thought 535i 5-speeds did 0-60 in 7 seconds, bone stock?

I am not sure, but I would think something like the G-tech pro, or the Passport G-Timer would accuratly measure your 0 to 50 times. (In fact, I know from the ad photos that the Passport G-Timer does handle 0-50).

I've told my wife that I would like one of those device for my birthday, which is coming up in September. Perpahs I'll have more to report on it then.
    -Matt P
    '99 540iT

I have a gtech pro. Have not tried to many runs in the BMW. You would be amazed how difficult it is sometimes to fing enough real estate to make a 0-60 run. It seems whenever I go out to do one, the traffic is horrific. Finding a spot to make a 1/4 mile run is a whole nother story.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

I've got one coming in - I want to see how fast the wife's new Quest is

We could start a lend-lease with it. Realistically, I'm not planning on making too many mods that I want to model. I do wantt o baseline my new car, and go back to back with the wife's best friend's G35 Coupe. Maybe keep it around long enough to model an intake? Hmmmm Maybe pulleys too.... And lighter wheels for winter, these 135's are big...... With a good launch on lighter wheels I'm probably looking at a few tenths.....

--Micah O'C
    '17 M2 6MT, Mineral Grey
    '04 330i ZHP
    '88 M5 2791445
    '92 M5T BL01001
    formerly '90 535iM, '92 525iT

-Joes Guest

Default the sorted-

I threw alot of money at it and time. It is just a big tinker toy to me. I have done everything that i can think of that is cost effective. The only thing left in my mind is a turbo, and I will not be going there. too much bling bling!

Quote Originally Posted by G Feller

Quote Originally Posted by MicahO
    I've got one coming in - I want to see how fast the wife's new Quest is
    Allright, your Quest vs. my FX35 then....

I did some 0-60s in my 530iA a while back, 7 seconds flat as measured by the gTech. But that was with an EAT chip and 4.1 differential. That was with a conservative launch from idle - if I had wanted to be mean to the drivetrain, probably could've gotten that down a few tenths.
    1994 530iA Sold
    2003 FX-35
    1991 MR2 Turbo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast