GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can the e34 CV joint be relubed WITHOUT removing the whole shaft....

Default can the e34 CV joint be relubed WITHOUT removing the whole shaft....

more specifically, bentley says that the joint must be pressed in and out. is this something that could be accomplished with the other joint remaining on the car, ie, by hand or with a puller? i'd rather not have to crack all of those 75 lb ft hex bolts just to take the boot off.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    more specifically, bentley says that the joint must be pressed in and out. is this something that could be accomplished with the other joint remaining on the car, ie, by hand or with a puller? i'd rather not have to crack all of those 75 lb ft hex bolts just to take the boot off.
    I have just DIY'd my cv joint rubber boot replacement 3 months back and I did have the whole half shaft removed off the car.I suppose you can do a re-lube of the CV joint in-situ if you want to.Just loosen both the metal clamp ring and slide the whole boot towards the diff.Best to have the tyres suspended so you can give a thorough cleaning of the cv joint ball bearings.

it's generally good practice to leave em alone unless the boot is torn, it's just not a part that normally wears out on bimmers, yes it's a pain to replace the boots i get good practice on 850 volvos, they suck ass and split all of the time
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Today 01:13 AM
    winfred it's generally good practice to leave em alone unless the boot is torn, it's just not a part that normally wears out on bimmers, yes it's a pain to replace the boots i get good practice on 850 volvos, they suck ass and split all of the time

the only reason i'm contemplating doing the boot is because the cv joint has begun to moan at certain speeds, and i'd rather not wait for it to die (if it is indeed) lack of lube that's making it sing. thought it was a wheel bearing at first, but it only occurs when the gas is applieed, and it doesn't make the noise in coast. the boot is in remarkably solid shape, though. i have to do brakes next weekend, i might just slide the boot forward, see if the grease is dust-ified or not, and if it is, clean it out and shoot some new stuff in there. do you have any idea as to how long i likely have left with the joint in such a condition?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Ryan, what you describe is not the cv joint, its the differential, put some

redline synthetic in it and it will quiet right down.

Today 01:13 AM
    winfred it's generally good practice to leave em alone unless the boot is torn, it's just not a part that normally wears out on bimmers, yes it's a pain to replace the boots i get good practice on 850 volvos, they suck ass and split all of the time

the only reason i'm contemplating doing the boot is because the cv joint has begun to moan at certain speeds, and i'd rather not wait for it to die (if it is indeed) lack of lube that's making it sing. thought it was a wheel bearing at first, but it only occurs when the gas is applieed, and it doesn't make the noise in coast. the boot is in remarkably solid shape, though. i have to do brakes next weekend, i might just slide the boot forward, see if the grease is dust-ified or not, and if it is, clean it out and shoot some new stuff in there. do you have any idea as to how long i likely have left with the joint in such a condition?

moaning......differential.......

i thought it might be the differential, but the problem is is that its only groaning on one side of the car, and its not doing it when turning (only in straight lines). is the diff compartmentalized sufficiently to have worn out fluid cause a noise on only one of the two wheels?

Default Its not worn out fluid, its wear on the pinion and lash in the gears causing the

noise and it usually only does it in straight line. Usually more noticable at 50 mph and above, typically the faster you go the louder the noise is as the diff wears. And by giving it gas the noise is there, but when you back off and coast just right the noise will go away. I don't know why you would hear the groaning only on one side of the car.. I wouldn't really describe the diff noise as a groan its more of a whine to me.

moaning......differential.......

i thought it might be the differential, but the problem is is that its only groaning on one side of the car, and its not doing it when turning (only in straight lines). is the diff compartmentalized sufficiently to have worn out fluid cause a noise on only one of the two wheels?

i only hear it when seated up front. i rarely ever ride as a passenger in my car, so it sounds like its coming from the centre back-->passenger area. it might just be coming from the centre, never considered that. i rode in the backseat whilst my uncle drove to niagra on the lake, i couldn't hear the nose at all. will the mobil 1 gear oil work instead of the redline, as i have two bottles of that sitting here unopened. was gonna change it when i relubed the cv joint to make sure everything back there was in order. i guess if i had done that, i would have assumed that relubing the cv joint was the solution to the noise instead of the fluid change. oh well, ill peel back the boot when i do brakes next week, if its severely dry, i can just clean and shoot some grease into it.

if not diff dieing wheel bearing?! it's a bitch to tell early on sometimes
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

if it was a wheel bearing, wouldn't it likely be making noise when power is engaged AND disengaged? that's why i thought it was a cv joint, as i could never get it to make the noise when coasting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast